The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am having some issues with diatoms and have some questions. I know that diatoms are part of a new setup but are they usually this bad? Ive had the tank set up for about 3 weeks but only added the plants about 2 weeks ago. How long should I expect them to last? 2-3 months? and finally is there anything I should do to keep them at bay. I do weekly 50% water change. This picture is 4 days after a water change and manual removal
Plant Branch Organism Wood Twig

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have my tank running for 3 weeks and also fighting algae, in my case hair algae. I started dosing excel two days ago, spot treatment, double dose, and my algae is dieing slowly as some turned red colour. So my only advice (not sure if any good) is maybe if you can't control it you can choose the same road as I did and just treat it with excel to help yourself.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Generally algae does best in water with very low nutrient levels. And plants do poorly at low nutrient levels. are either of you using a fertilizer? Excel or CO2 will not provide any mineral nutrients the plants need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I only discovered that knowledge very recently, but yes I am dosing fertiliser from two days. I have my own thread so don't want to cut in, just wanted to share my very limited experience so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts