The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a small outbreak of diatoms in my 6' 100g tank, nothing major but annoying. It is a heavily planted established tank with a total of 235W and pressurized CO2.

NO3 and PO4 are within acceptable ranges; I have been going nuts trying to figure out the problem. Today I found in the back of the tank a piece of concrete about 6"x6". The only thing I can think of is that my daughter may have put it in their for decoration?????

Would leaching of silicates from this account for the diatoms? Would a UV sterilizer work to rid them? Should I just wait it out and do nothing?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Have you checked your PH? The concrete can make your PH go up dramatically.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the pH is around 6.2-6.4

It is not a huge piece that was in there. From what I have heard diatoms seems to be caused by one of two things inadequate light or excess silicates.

I have (3) 24"x65W pc's with 6700K and a 6' strip light with two 3' 20W 6500k bulbs in it. I think my light is decent enough therefore the silicates are what I am questioning.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
A UVS won't help with surface-hugging algae like diatoms. Otos might help, but they are not tough enough for the stuff that takes elbow grease to remove from the front glass.

Two 20W bulbs don't do much on a 100gal tank. I know you got the PC's which are good, but if part of the tank is covered by your 2x20W fixture, that area might be underlit.

I guess now that you removed the concrete you will see if it was the cause of your diatoms. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The strange part is that I am not getting any on my glass. It is only on the fine leaved plants (ie) sessiflora, hairgrass, sawtooth etc.

I am doing about 40% water changes daily and vaccuming up as much as possiible.

The 6' 100g has 2 center braces, leaving 3 openings. So I have each 65W pc in the middle portion of the tank and then the strip light towards the front. The most significant portions of the diatoms are in the high light area????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.