The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank that I started about 6 months ago, 6 neon tetras, 1 oto, 3 amano and 2 cherry shrimp. I just have a few anubias and java ferns in it at the moment. It was doing well but I decided to switch the substrate from gravel to sand about 3 weeks ago. I now have a diatom explosion and my oto appears to be on strike so the tank glass is filthy, he keeps the plants clean though. How long is should this take to die down and is there anything I can do to help it along?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I have a 10 gallon tank that I started about 6 months ago, 6 neon tetras, 1 oto, 3 amano and 2 cherry shrimp. I just have a few anubias and java ferns in it at the moment. It was doing well but I decided to switch the substrate from gravel to sand about 3 weeks ago. I now have a diatom explosion and my oto appears to be on strike so the tank glass is filthy, he keeps the plants clean though. How long is should this take to die down and is there anything I can do to help it along?
When you removed your old substrate, much of the beneficial bacteria was removed with it. So, you are probably re-cycling (keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels for a while). Do you have a filter with bio-media in it?

Diatoms will clear on their own. You can do some further reading here:

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/algae-control/how-to-control-diatoms?_pos=1&_sid=86f81ebb1&_ss=r

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.