The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After doing some more reading, filter DE is heat tried so it is "silicafied" and I guess that filters better?? So I looked at pool filter DE and it is about a $1/lb so I think I will go with that.

Couple reviews say it is the same as Vortex DE powder for $10/lb.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
One of our AS members has a water treatment (aquarium) company. He's done experiments with various DE products and only uses the Vortex powder. I'm about ready to put my Vortex in service again and am going to try the food grade since I've got a huge bag I bought for another use that didn't pan out.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Is there any difference between filter diatom powder and food grade powder?

As usual the aquarium based stuff is 10X more expensive than the food grade.
Hi ichy,

I had a stubborn outbreak of green water about 3 years ago. I went down to the local garden center and picked up 4.4 lbs of Diatomaceous Earth (used as a slut/insect repellant) for about $12 + tax. I used my Marineland 350 Magnum filter with the micron insert and the diatomaceous earth and the problem was gone in 48 hours.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ichy,

I had a stubborn outbreak of green water about 3 years ago. I went down to the local garden center and picked up 4.4 lbs of Diatomaceous Earth (used as a slut/insect repellant) for about $12 + tax. I used my Marineland 350 Magnum filter with the micron insert and the diatomaceous earth and the problem was gone in 48 hours.
My DE just arrived. I dumped some into my 350 filter as well and it has been running for about an hour. The water is starting to sparkle!:x

So in review, no need buy that expensive DE, as far as I can tell this stuff looks and functions just like the other 3X more expensive stuff.

Now for the down side! I ordered this
Amazon.com : Diatomaceous Earth Pool Filter D.E. 25 LBS. : Swimming Pool De Filters : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I had NO IDEA a 25lb bag of DE would be that BIG! I now have enough powder to last me about 100 years! NO kidding!

I may offer 1lb bags on my local fish forum just to get rid of some of it!

SIDE NOTE: Seattle...how old is your 350 filter? I think mine is going on at least 20 years and its still going!

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi ichy,

lol, yes it is pretty light so that 25lb bag probably looked like a Costco sized bag of dog food!
I may offer 1lb bags on my local fish forum just to get rid of some of it!
Or you could to an RAOK for zipper lock bags and make a lot of friends.

I am glad that the DE is helping to clear up your tank. A couple are only about 4 years old but one of them I bought used from a GSAS club member so it is probably 10+ years old.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi ichy,

lol, yes it is pretty light so that 25lb bag probably looked like a Costco sized bag of dog food!
Or you could to an RAOK for zipper lock bags and make a lot of friends.

I am glad that the DE is helping to clear up your tank. A couple are only about 4 years old but one of them I bought used from a GSAS club member so it is probably 10+ years old.
Good idea,,,
and correction mine is a 330 filter..I don't think they make that one anymore!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've always used food grade DE. Some people use it in their diet. It is also used by farms in feed bins to kill insects. I keep a shaker of it to use on ant hills and the like. DO NOT BREATH IN. Wear a mask when working with it. It is bad for the lungs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I buy it at tractor supply to dust my chickens for mites and spread it in the nesting boxes. Never knew it was also beneficial in a tank. That's why I read and read on here. Thanks for the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts