The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am looking for some feedback on these types of filters. I set up my tank Friday night with Tahitian Moon Sand and its cloudy. I know why its cloudy, and I also know what I need to do to make it not cloudy, so lets not get into that debate.

I've found that Vortex makes a rather inexpensive line of filters, inexpesive in both senses of the word. I read reviews of them and every single one of them stated that they had a failure within a year or right out of the box. Is there another company that makes micron or Diatom filters? Somthing inexpensive that I could run for a short period every now and then that I don't have to worry about breaking right out of the box?

Lets say the budget is around $60ish

·
Registered
674 Posts
the magnum 250 by marineland are nice...42 from drsfoster or petsmart pricematch. i use one on my 75 gallon and it works well, though you need to buy the DE powder separate

·
Registered
845 Posts
Magnum 350. (check eBay, you can probably find a better deal there) I think you can even use the HOB Mags too for diatom use. For DE powder, it's cheaper to get it at your pool/spa supply store.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, now I read that the Magnum filters were not the same as the Vortex Micron filters. Am I correct in assuming that you can buy Micron filters for them and they will polish the water like the Vortex filters do, so long as you buy this DE powder stuff?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yup! There are a few threads on here who used their Mags as diatom filters. I don't know why Magnum (Marineland) doesn't advertise as such anymore. Years ago, when I bought my Magnum 350, they did and even gave instructions and DE powder in box. Now they don't. Too bad too.

Try Epicfish's thread. I believe his is the most recent on here with using the Mag and DE.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Is it planted and is the hardscape in it? If not, just keep washing the TMS and it'll clear up. A whole lot cheaper than a new filter too.

Magnum 250, Magnum 350, Vortex filter series, System 1 all make diatom filters. I personally use a Magnum 350 w/ micron cartridge and DE powder.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its planted already. So a filter is the way I have to go.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I forgot to ask, I have an ECCO EHEIM 2234 Cannister filter and there is nothing that I can add to that filter to act as a water polisher or to make it filter at or near the Micron filtration level?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Hey all, I am looking for some feedback on these types of filters. I set up my tank Friday night with Tahitian Moon Sand and its cloudy. I know why its cloudy, and I also know what I need to do to make it not cloudy, so lets not get into that debate.

I've found that Vortex makes a rather inexpensive line of filters, inexpesive in both senses of the word. I read reviews of them and every single one of them stated that they had a failure within a year or right out of the box. Is there another company that makes micron or Diatom filters? Somthing inexpensive that I could run for a short period every now and then that I don't have to worry about breaking right out of the box?

Lets say the budget is around $60ish

Can you link me to those reviews? I use a vortex diatom filter with no problems whatsoever. I would say to try and borrow one unless you have several tanks......DC

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I've borrowed the Vortex Freedom Filter from a friend and it works very well. Get the backwash valve so you can drain all the DE backwards into your toilet. Having to remove the filter and have the DE water everywhere is a PAIN.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I had a Freedom Filter for about a year. But I sold it to a friend and bought an XL to be able to filter/polish my big tanks faster. Here's a link to a page on my site describing my filter setup.

The one drawback I found with the Freedon Filter was that the neck of the plastic bottle was abrasive to the filter bag. If you take the bag in and out of the bottle a lot you'll wear out spots in the bag and cause it to leak. Backflushing is the way to go for cleaning it.

The XL has a glass bottle and is easier on the bag, but I still backflush almost exclusively for cleaning.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Anyone use the Vortex Freedom Filter? Have been contemplating getting a DE filter and this seems like their newest one.
I have owned/used the freedom filter, have a XL now, like it much better.....DC

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hey, I forgot to ask, I have an ECCO EHEIM 2234 Cannister filter and there is nothing that I can add to that filter to act as a water polisher or to make it filter at or near the Micron filtration level?
After You get the initial cloudiness out of the way, add some seachem Purigen to Your filter--Nothing polishes like it. Fantastic stuff! You won't know there's even water in the tank.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. Are your comments on the Diatom linked to these 3 reviews?......DC
Yes. I have no personal experience with them but after reading those reviews and seeing that there was only a small satisfaction rating, I wanted to ask here first to see what the general concensus was.

Its akin to reading reviews on newegg.com about computer stuff and having a few reviews totally bash a product and a few that praise it, you have to wonder about the mentality or even the knowledge of the individual writing the review. For instants if someone stuck some PC3200 Ram in a computer that only accepted PC2100, and wrote a review bashing the PC3200 because it didn't give them any noticable gain, you'd probably question their intelligence, ya know what I mean? However, these reviews don't allude to the users actual experience. So I'd rather err on the side of caution.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts