The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a vortex xl and can't seem to get it to work right. I put it together, primed as needed, and can't get the "primer" water to turn clear.

I left it running in a 5 gallon bucket all night and woke up to milky white water. I figured it HAD to be ready to go after running in the bucket for 8 hours. Nope. DE all over my display tank. I originally put 3 cups of DE in. I know that's a little more than suggested, but I can't see why it shouldn't be able to handle it...

Any ideas what I did wrong?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Maybe you forgot an o ring or one of the foam parts like on the magnums. Another thing may be that the DE powder you have is smaller than the filter media?

·
Registered
946 Posts
As boink said check the O ring & check the filter tube if its connected to the housing thigh enought.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Yea, it's a leak somewhere. I had to disassemble my DE filter about 4 times to get it right.

The water in the 5 gallon bucket should clear within 10 minutes of running it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Be careful about the plastic Ushaped pieces. One is glued the other is not. The glued one needs to go on the suction side or it won't work right.
Gene

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
There isn't an o-ring in the bag/motor attachment point, just a plastic flange on the bag that you slip into the motor housing. So either you haven't seated the bag fully into the motor housing, or there's something wrong with your bag.

When I had a Vortex Freedom Filter, removing/inserting the bag from/into the bottle for cleaning eventually caused the bag to fray. When that happened it would always release a fine stream of DE into the output. Fortunately, my XL has been problem free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts