The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a brooklyn apt and although i do have an ro drinking water system it is way too slow to do a water change. was thinking of just running tap water thru a DI filter, I do a ten g water change every few days...how long do u think a DI filter would last?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I live in a brooklyn apt and although i do have an ro drinking water system it is way too slow to do a water change. was thinking of just running tap water thru a DI filter, I do a ten g water change every few days...how long do u think a DI filter would last?
Not many cases where using a DI filter is recommended....other than a saltwater setup. The RO might be overkill by itself! Any reason why you think you need it?

If you're dead set on continuing to use some sort of filter maybe you should look into making RO and storing it in a bucket/container of some sort. Thats what most people do when using RO/DI filters.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
was getting some algae n the guy at brs said i should be using ro water
BRS as in bulk reef supply? Are you talking about a freshwater tank and did the guy from BRS know this?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The DI cartridge would have only 1/20th of its capacity to demineralize tap than RO output. Also, the processing speed must not be faster than RO output.
So, it is doable but not practical.

Actually, this is how we demineralized water before the RO invention. There were two cartridges, cation and anion. When they were used up we had to regenerate them with Hydrochloric acid and Sodium hydroxide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.