The Planted Tank Forum banner

DI resin in canister filer ?

5771 16
Hi guys,

I've been looking for solution on how to remove silicates from water, as my tap water is very high on silicates causing big trouble with diatoms permanently.
In my search I've found that the anion resin (DI resin) is very good to do the job.

I only have found that this resin is used along with RO units, so here is my question:

Can use this resin as a filter media in my standard canister filter (ie: Fluval 305)

Thanks in advance
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
794 Posts
This is possible to do but you problem need to increase contact time, this may require the use of a separate chamber for the resin. Do you know if the resin is sold in loose form or in a filter.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

· Registered
13,293 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been looking for solution on how to remove silicates from water, as my tap water is very high on silicates causing big trouble with diatoms permanently.
In my search I've found that the anion resin (DI resin) is very good to do the job.

I only have found that this resin is used along with RO units, so here is my question:

Can use this resin as a filter media in my standard canister filter (ie: Fluval 305)

Thanks in advance
much would depend on the "type" of Silica.. to begin with:
Strong base anion exchange resins can remove virtually all reactive silica, reaching part-per-billion levels in many applications. Engineering brochures about DOWEX* ion exchange resins can help you predict the removal efficiency of this reactive silica at your operating conditions. Colloidal silica, however, cannot be removed by the ion exchange mechanism. Ion exchange resins do provide some colloidal silica reduction through the filtration mechanism, but resins are not very efficient at this process.
Membrane treatment can remove virtually all colloidal silica. Both reverse osmosis and ultrafiltration are effective in this respect. Reverse osmosis offers the additional advantage of significant reduction (98%+) of reactive silica as well.
Finally, coagulation techniques in clarifiers can be very effective at removing colloidal silica
http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...seps/pdfs/noreg/177-01764.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

· Registered
803 Posts
Deionization resin will remove all dissolved solids from your water until it is exhausted, which will realistically be in short order unless your tap water is only 1-3 TDS, but as soon as you feed the tank or dose any ferts it will exhaust. DI resin is extremely expensive, and while it can be regenerated, it isn't the easiest or quickest thing to do.

I would not recommend its use.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is possible to do but you problem need to increase contact time, this may require the use of a separate chamber for the resin. Do you know if the resin is sold in loose form or in a filter.

Its available on both forms, as refill in small bags or as ready to use cartridges for RO units

Some vendors links:

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/di_resin.htm
http://spectrapure.com/SilicaBuster-DI-Cartridge-Color-Indicating-SuperDI-10-inch
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-filters.html

· Registered
2,315 Posts
I think it would probably be better if you used it to set up some sort of RO/DI filter for your tap water, and then just use it for water for water changes.

Putting DI resin in the cannister filter will cause it to get exhausted from all the other stuff in the water (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, tannins, humic acids, carbonates, etc.) very quickly, and then it would be pretty much useless.

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
I think it would probably be better if you used it to set up some sort of RO/DI filter for your tap water, and then just use it for water for water changes.

Putting DI resin in the cannister filter will cause it to get exhausted from all the other stuff in the water (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, tannins, humic acids, carbonates, etc.) very quickly, and then it would be pretty much useless.
I agree. Treating before you get the water in the tank is the most practical way to go.

I'd look for an RO unit.

And use Nerites and Otos.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I had the same problem for years, I had around 10ppm silicates in my tap, then went to bulkreefsupply and got an ro/di system, problem solved. It would be cheaper and easier in the long run to get a ro/di system.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same problem for years, I had around 10ppm silicates in my tap, then went to bulkreefsupply and got an ro/di system, problem solved. It would be cheaper and easier in the long run to get a ro/di system.
I've read in some other sources that RO/DI units are good to fight this silicates problem, but I also read somewhere else that RO/DI units are useful for this for a very short time, I'm glad to hear form you that a RO/DI unit has been great solution

I'm thinking seriously to get an RO/DI unit, which model do you have?

· Registered
803 Posts
but I also read somewhere else that RO/DI units are useful for this for a very short time
The sediment filter needs to be replaced once pressure begins to drop, the carbon block needs to be replaced, on average, every 6-9 months (if your water contains chlorine, you can find out how much chlorine, and how much chlorine your carbon block removes [typically 20,000ppm for a quality 0.5 micron carbon block] and calculate how many gallons it can handle), and then replace your DI resin once it exhausts and you see an increase in TDS from 0 on the output.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Its possible to get it in both forms, as refill in bags or filters/cartridges ready to use or replace for RO/DI units

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I've read in some other sources that RO/DI units are good to fight this silicates problem, but I also read somewhere else that RO/DI units are useful for this for a very short time, I'm glad to hear form you that a RO/DI unit has been great solution

I'm thinking seriously to get an RO/DI unit, which model do you have?
I have the four stage ro/di 75 gallons a day. I paid $129. They'll give you a kitchen sink adapter and a garden hose adapter. Which is convenient because mine is nonpermanent. I hook it up once a week get the water I need and put it away. I haven't change my filters or resin in 6 months I'm still getting zero across the board. My silicates are still 0ppm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.