The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been growing DHG for about a mount and a half. and all is finily starting to take off and send out runners...

my question is would a trim to the DHG (cutting it down maybe a inch) speed up or slow down the spread of the DHG?

Also does it benifet or hurt the plant?

Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am also curious about when to do the first trimming on DHG. Does it help to keep plant short while it fills in or is it more beneficial to let it grow longer "shoots"(im talking about the green parts and not the root runners. proper terminology would also benefit me greatly)? I would also like to know how often i keep trimming it after is starts spreading.

-Project-

·
Banned
3,011 Posts
I dont think it really matters, some will say it helps to trim it, others say it doesnt help it spread. I personally dont understand how trimming it would help it spread faster. Either way, if you are trimming it to keep it shorter, its a loosing battle. You would be better off just trying to get some DHG belem which stays short in the first place.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In my experience trimming DHG doesn't do much one way or the other in regards to the rate at which it spreads. It also never seemed to negatively affect the plant, so for those asking I'd say trim whenever you feel like it. Whether to keep it short, which is a pain, or when if algae starts growing and getting tangled in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.