The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started a 4G tank yesterday but am curious if I planted the DHG right...

This was from 1 pot. I used about 10-20 nodes per "planting". Should I use a 2nd pot to help fill it in some more or do you think that this should work with carpeting the tank?

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
I think you will be fine. If you bought more and spread it out over the left hand side of the aquarium, you would achieve a full carpet faster, but that is about it.

In time, the plants from the left side will get denser, and you can thin it out and replant on the right hand side, etc.

If your Dwarf Hairgrass begins to melt a little, don't worry too much; your picture shows that it was sold to you in its emersed form, so it will die back a little while it converts to its submersed form.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have another pot of DHG that I bought, but wasn't sure if it was needed. I might fill it in a little more then to achieve the carpet faster.

I thought it was emersed growth due to the brown pods on the top of all the nodes. I'm not worried about die off either, I had a feeling it would since it was emersed growth.

Substrate is MGOPM capped with black blasting grit so the soil should have enough nutrients in it to give the DHG a kick start

Thanks Darkblade!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'd wait a bit before trimming it down. Wait for the first runners show up, then you can give the emersed leaves a trim.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i just left my emerse growth intact, my dhg eventually just took over the entire tank. had a massive piece of driftwood in the 15g and i couldnt even see it once it was established. It gave it an amazing grassy plains kind of look.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Posts here are correct. You can use the 2nd pot if you want. Wait about a week for first runners to show up and then mow it to about 1/2" stubs. Good thing about DHG is you can mold it because it gets so tall and grows so quickly. Great for shaping a scape up for competitions or just good aesthetics. Make sure you have a good way of getting the trimmings up though...I find that to be the worst part of keeping DHG.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Any tips on this?
A fine mesh fish net (usually called premium nets at pet stores) is good for it. They just tend to get up against the glass and be annoying like that. I honestly find it easier to drain the water a slight bit so no spill over occurs, trim the plants, then net what I can off, then drain the water level more for normal maintenance and then since the blades will stick to the glass as the water level drops, you can just wipe them off with a paper towel. Don't wait too long though because they'll dry and flake off. Much easier to get them when they're still moist. That's just my personal method...maybe other members will chime in. :)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Any tips on this?
Do your trims during a water change. Trim before changing the water, net whatever floats to the top, drain the water and replace. Scoop out whatever is left floating while using something to comb the hairgrass. I use a plastic fork just fine. Just be sure not pull up the roots.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A fine mesh fish net (usually called premium nets at pet stores) is good for it. They just tend to get up against the glass and be annoying like that. I honestly find it easier to drain the water a slight bit so no spill over occurs, trim the plants, then net what I can off, then drain the water level more for normal maintenance and then since the blades will stick to the glass as the water level drops, you can just wipe them off with a paper towel. Don't wait too long though because they'll dry and flake off. Much easier to get them when they're still moist. That's just my personal method...maybe other members will chime in. :)
Do your trims during a water change. Trim before changing the water, net whatever floats to the top, drain the water and replace. Scoop out whatever is left floating while using something to comb the hairgrass. I use a plastic fork just fine. Just be sure not pull up the roots.
Both of these sounds very similar to each other. I think this is the route I'll take when trimming. Thanks to you both!

Now hopefully the DHG takes off

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
A plastic fork! Genius!

I used to use a turkey baster to blast all the little bits out and then use a net. Eventually sold it all because it was such a hassle to keep mowing the lawn :D

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So bit of an update...

It's been a month since I've planted the DHG... and I haven't seen any new growth. I've seen a lot of die off, but that's about it... I trimmed it back about 2 weeks ago to encourage new growth, but I haven't seen any...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts