The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first planted tank; I have been reading and collecting the equipment for a few months now; I am really excited to finally have it up and running. It has been one week now, I am seeing some thread algae and white fluffy stuff on my moss and diffuser. I’m not really sure what the white stuff is. I bought my plants from a member here in a package to get my self started, with the addition on some hair grass and some java fern. This is what I have so far, I don’t really have the plant were I want them all to be, but I’m of to a start.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice start! From all the Hagen products I immediately guessed you were Canadian. My only recommendation is move the heater to be hidden behind the plants. Are you EI dosing?

The white fuzz on the diffuser is common when using DIY CO2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. The algae has picked up, I think the moss might have to come out it's really getting covered. I'm thinking I might double the Excel and black out the tank for a bit. Other than the algae the plants have been really growing; how long should I let the ricca get before I trim it?

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
The intake tube of your Eheim could be cut so that the 180 bend sits on the rim.

I see one glass diffuser and another diffuser of some sort, both co2?

Nice start.

PJ

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Very nice aquarium! I'm always amazed at what people can do when they spend a little time preparing ahead of time. Success is so much sweeter and likelier to come when you do, eh?

What part of Canada are you from? My wife's from the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Ontario.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you every one, all the positive feedback has been really encouraging. The tank is filling in well needs a trim soon. I'm still fighting with thread algae and keeping the water level up, seem like every time I look it is in need of a top up.

Phil Edwards- Research and planning has really helped for my first real planted tank I feel like I’m not going in blind. So far it has been a wonderful experience and the tank is the defiant center piece in my place. I'm in the Maritimes so getting my stuff has mainly been through the mail.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks pamiboo. I am wondering about my hair grass; it has been growing and spreading well but every one is curved over. I see other tanks and the grass grows strait up, I'm wondering what I am doing wrong? would it be the height of my light?

Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The tank is in need of some work. I have cardinals now, and this past weekend I picked up a few amano shrimp. I am thinking I might scape the tank, not really liking how the tank is looking at this time.

Thank you for looking.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts