The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching a show on NatGeo right now, about Death Valley, and the natural freshwater aquifer that exists underneath it... and they are now talking about this endangered little fish that lives within it, the Devil's Hole Pupfish.

I've never heard of this fish before, but it's very beautiful! They only get to about an inch long, and they are a beautiful bluish color, almost like that of a blue tang. And in the footage I'm watching, they apparently are schooling fish that shoal together, amid the thread algae (or spirogyra or whatever it is) that they live in.

It's too bad that, not only are they on the verge of extinction, but they are pretty much physically unreachable by all but the most specialized of scientists who study this environment. That means no one's gonna see any of these in any planted tanks.

But they are beautiful, they are interesting, and I thought I'd mention them to you all.

The show was called "America's Wild Spaces" on Nat Geo.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If they are endangered, why wouldn't the scientists collect a small bunch and start a small breeding program in their labs?

·
Registered
567 Posts
The article linked says that some of them were moved to Arizona to start another breeding population.

Hahaha if they could get those into the aquarium trade, there might be a huge population explosion! Pretty fish.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Pupfish are killis that live in small desert spring fed streams.
Unfortunately, if they hit the aquarium trade and went extinct in the wild, all we would have left is some genetically inferior version and the original diversity would be lost forever. But I'm sure we would have swordtail Devil's hole pupfish, snake Devil's hole pupfish, tuxedo Devil's hole pupfish... I just threw up a little in my mouth.. excuse me.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I understand, if the jerk developers and lobbyists in Las Vegas (and other nearby communities) don't continue trying to tap into the aquifer, the fish probably won't ever go extinct. If I understand their plight correctly, this aquifer is their home, always has been, they've evolved to exist within it, and the only thing threatening them is that Las Vegas keeps lobbying to tap into the aquifer so they can develop develop develop.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The battle to save the Devil's Hole Pupfish was the beginning of the endangered species act. So we can be thankful that their habitat was preserved and other species that were endangered now can have protection.

When the water in Devil's Hole was allowed to drop below the algae covered shelf they lost both their food supply and breeding ground. They do have other breeding colonies going and I am sure they are a high priority like several other desert pupfish species.

Bruce

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah Las Vegas is a big a$$ mouth that is trying to consume more than it can ethically eat. Sorry, I don't mean to start a political thread.:angel:

·
Registered
269 Posts
None of the desert pupfish with their small habitats could be considered genetically diverse yet they continue to survive and breed. As a former killie keeper I have always wanted to keep some pupfish but I am mostly interested in breeding saltwater fish these days.

Bruce

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah, I thought about that after I wrote it. I doubt there is much diversity, but I think you guys know what I mean. FS or Trade: Tuxedo Devil's Hole pupfish! :hihi:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.