The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got Devil Hole Pupfish (Cyprinodon diabolis)?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If you want a similar fish, Cyprinodon Variegatus - the 'sheepshead minnow' - is a worthy substitute. A pair is fine in a 10 gallon or perhaps even a 5 temporarily, while a group is best in a 3 ft tank. They need no heater but need very hard - or better yet, brackish or marine - water. They are algae eaters and do best with a veggie based diet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want a similar fish, Cyprinodon Variegatus - the 'sheepshead minnow' ... need very hard - or better yet, brackish or marine - water. ...
I've been looking at that species, there's currently an auction running on Ebay entitled "3 SALTWATER SHEEPSHEAD MINNOWS or SHEEPSHEAD PUPFISH (Cyprinodon variegates vari"

I find it interesting that they are labeled saltwater.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
They like mangrove-type areas. You can find them anywhere from near fresh to full marine, so they can absolutely be kept in saltwater. I think they tend to prefer brackish? I found a few of them while seining in a brackish water marsh in Port Aransas, and they were at the mouth of a little spring.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the mouth of a little spring... hmmm so they wanted fresher water, more current, cooler water, &/or found a food supply coming from inland.

There's some speculation that many years ago it was humans which brought Cyprinodon to the Devil Hole area. I wonder if the species was variegatus which evolved to become the subspecies diabolis. If crossbreeding is possible that would clear up a lot. The government will probably prevent that from ever happening.

Your 1st post re geothermal and population of <100 is not entirely correct. The population fluctuates annually (as it does with all wild fish) from ~100 to several hundred. Geothermal means, for the most part, temps >90F + very alkaline (high ph) which are not overly difficult to replicate in the aquarium. Many discus breeders use temps in the high 80s, but with acidic (low ph) water.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are there other pupfish that display the blue iridescence? I have always admired them for their beauty, but I doubt with the current higher ups in the FWS that Devil's Hole pupfish will ever become commercially available even if they continue captive breeding success. We've developed an unfortunate attitude in wildlife conservation that the common citizen has little business breeding native wildlife at home. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
625 Posts
is there no captive breeding program for these fish?

has it been attempted? im not even talking about the pet trade... i mean, in a laboratory setting. with how incredibly sensitive that particular reserve is, one would think that establishing a captive breeding program would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.