The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here. I have been looking for an active forum for a while and this seems to be a good one.

I recently bought a Cascade 1000. It was a price point that I could not pass up and reviews online seem good except for the baskets being prone to bypass.

My question is, is there a clever way to detect bypass? How does one determine if water bypass is occurring?

This is my first canister.

Thanks!
Fastfly

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have that same filter. I put a pre-filter on the intake that I clean with every water change. I clean the canister itself every fourth water change and replace the purigen with a fresh recharged bag. Adding a pre-filter in my experience and a decent maintenance routine eliminates the worries about bypass.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I had that filter and it did have lots of bypass. One way to see why is to stick something like a dowel or wooden ruler down alongside the baskets to see how much space is there. Then it would seem a way to verify the bypass might be to do a simple test.
What if one were to take the strainer off the input but leave the rest of the system normal with the spraybar at the end of the output. Then use something like grass clippings, etc. to feed into the intake. Obviously a halfway good media will stop all the grass clippings. So if you feed a handful in and none come out to be stuck in the spraybar, you are good. But I was finding large bits of debris stuck inside my spraybar!
NOTE: I did not do the test. Finding plant leaves was enough for me.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
@PlantedRich Thats not a good experience at all. I think an easy way to fix the isse would be a diy gasket around the outside of the bottom basket to seal it to the bottom of the canister. I have that filter on a 48g pentagon tank with a light bioload so I havent worried about it as the water is always clear. Like I have mentioned, a diy seal along the bottom of the bottom basket would most likely solve the issue.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
A seal seems like a good way to go. I have thought that it might work to add a strip or two of something like round weather stripping around the outside of the bottom basket. But then I never got around to doing the mod but traded the filter as a "sweetener" with some other stuff.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I just purchased my second c-220 from big als sale and I must say the reason I did is the way the trays are designed should eliminate most issues with bypass. The weather stripping is a good idea. Any aquarium safe rubber should work.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My question is, is there a clever way to detect bypass? How does one determine if water bypass is occurring?
By design of this filter, it cannot suffer from a 100% bypass. It is not possible and nobody is complaining about something like that. The very top filter tray in the stack cannot possibly be bypassed by the water flow. This means that trying to "detect bypass" by feeding debris into the filter intake and watching for it at the return end is not going to tell you anything. All these debris will be caught by the top tray. If your filter allows large debris through, it means that it is incorrectly assembled, seriously damaged or has insufficient filtering media in the top tray.

Internet complaints about excessive bypass in this filter never claimed a full bypass. Internet complaints are focused on the bottom tray and bottom tray only. This is where the alleged bypass occurs. I.e. according to these complaints, the bottom filtering tray works inefficiently. If you want to detect it, you can try feeding debris into the filter for a couple of minutes, then opening the filter and inspecting the trays. Most of the debris should be caught by the bottom tray. If that's not the case, then you indeed have a bypass problem.

Some people are trying to solve the bottom tray bypass problem by doing this
How Do I: Cascade 1000 Canister Filter Bypass Fix!! - 186454

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have that same filter. I put a pre-filter on the intake that I clean with every water change. I clean the canister itself every fourth water change and replace the purigen with a fresh recharged bag. Adding a pre-filter in my experience and a decent maintenance routine eliminates the worries about bypass.
I was thinking about using a pre-filter. I think I will now.

A seal seems like a good way to go. I have thought that it might work to add a strip or two of something like round weather stripping around the outside of the bottom basket. But then I never got around to doing the mod but traded the filter as a "sweetener" with some other stuff.
that is a good point. gluing the bottom basket to the container seems like it could be a decent idea as well.

I just purchased my second c-220 from big als sale and I must say the reason I did is the way the trays are designed should eliminate most issues with bypass. The weather stripping is a good idea. Any aquarium safe rubber should work.
Wow, this is the first time I have heard of big als. C-220 for $49 seems too good to be true. I wish I saw this before ordering the Cascade.

By design of this filter, it cannot suffer from a 100% bypass. It is not possible and nobody is complaining about something like that. The very top filter tray in the stack cannot possibly be bypassed by the water flow. This means that trying to "detect bypass" by feeding debris into the filter intake and watching for it at the return end is not going to tell you anything. All these debris will be caught by the top tray. If your filter allows large debris through, it means that it is incorrectly assembled, seriously damaged or has insufficient filtering media in the top tray.

Internet complaints about excessive bypass in this filter never claimed a full bypass. Internet complaints are focused on the bottom tray and bottom tray only. This is where the alleged bypass occurs. I.e. according to these complaints, the bottom filtering tray works inefficiently. If you want to detect it, you can try feeding debris into the filter for a couple of minutes, then opening the filter and inspecting the trays. Most of the debris should be caught by the bottom tray. If that's not the case, then you indeed have a bypass problem.

Some people are trying to solve the bottom tray bypass problem by doing this
How Do I: Cascade 1000 Canister Filter Bypass Fix!! - 186454
Really good points. I think I will understand the device when I get it in my hands. It does seem like the device functions well as far as being quiet, pump, decent quality tubing, etc.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have to say I have not been displeased with mine. It does a good job for what it is. The flow is decent, it is easy to prime, and it is quiet. When I muck up the water in the tank mine is on it is clear by the next morning. It is easy to take apart for cleaning. Once you disconnect the hoses for cleaning if you tip the can back so water doesnt run out of the intake/output and the filter is relatively mess free to disconnect, I usually use a towel under the hose connections.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.