The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a month since I set up my 5.5 gallon aquarium with its Aqueon full spectrum T8, and it still looks brighter than I'd prefer. I guess it's because of the 8000K. The only other 15-inch T8 bulbs I've found are the Hagen Sun-Glo (4200K, and I've read that its light is very yellow) and the Zoo Med Tropic Sun (5500K, looks interesting). There's also the Finnex Stingray. But since I'm considering something like a less bright desk light from higher up to approximate dawn and dusk, I'm wondering if a small fluorescent or LED desk light could work as the primary light. I'd also be fine with suspending something from a couple of shelf braces. Have any of you done anything like that? My aquarium has a betta, a few anubias, java fern, and a marimo, so my lighting needs are pretty basic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Consider attacking the problem directly and just putting a piece of translucent white plastic between the light and the tank. It will not cost much and you can easily experiment with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.