The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Edge tank and going to try DSM as well. This will be my low tech tank with slow growing, short plants. First thought is some flame moss on driftwood and a small spot somewhere else, anubias nana petite or other low growing plant around dw and possibly a 'tidy' moss for some carpet. Initial layout(wood is normally dark brown, now gray due to fluorite dust)

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll roll with it. Might play with some different rock on the left, but should look pretty good eventually.
So to do DSM, should I look for or ask for emerged plants or can I get submerged variety? Then its pretty much get plants where needed, add just enough water so it does not puddle, mist a couple times a day, cover, repeat till...how long?

Going to try the moss chop and spread to see if it adheres.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleaned things up so it looks more like a filled tank. Also have a larger rock included as another option that could be buried flat(its about 2 inches thick) a bit to cut down on its size.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
I like all your designs thus far. That driftwood is a very unique piece, and I think it could be utilized very well combined with some of the rocks in your photos.

Personally I like to take in consideration of how tall the hardscape is, in general you will see a lot of people design a scape with a lack of height. If it is not extending at least to 2/3 the height of tank then the plants will often dominate the scape.

This all depends on what you have planned for plants, of course

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as plants go, not sure at this point. Im definitely going low tech and hopefully low maint as far as the plants go to begin. I've read enough about the Edge and its limitations and don't want to end up hating the thing due to how much a pita is to trim and clean etc. etc.

I am leaning toward the driftwood, but the other side is more interesting, but more of a junk collector as well. I'll put a few more scapes together and see how they look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.