The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm going to try to raise these guys. They're aquatic worms akin to tubifex but much smaller. I bought that little bit for $37 online. Most of the expense was on the shipping. Hopefully they'll breed and make the fishes happy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow man thats expensive risk for that small portion of worms. How are they compared to grindal worms? I recently culture them and now expended to 6 tubs of them which is like endless supply of fish food.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow man thats expensive risk for that small portion of worms. How are they compared to grindal worms? I recently culture them and now expended to 6 tubs of them which is like endless supply of fish food.
yeah, it's an expensive risk for sure.

They're a little longer than grindals. The benefit is that they live in water so they won't die quickly and spoil in the water.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a little update. The worms survived in my plastic container with a simple diy sponge filter in the basement with temperature around 68F. Population looks to be the same, maybe a little more. They're consuming half a hikari bottom pellet every week. They're pretty small in general, about the size of grindals, perfect for micro fish and growing fry.
Hope to have a good population in 6 months.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Very interesting. I've been looking for live food for my fish as well.
Do they do better with or without substrate?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Another question. After some searching I have read that dero worms are prolific and will grow out in aquarium substrates if they are not all consumed. What do you make of this?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question. After some searching I have read that dero worms are prolific and will grow out in aquarium substrates if they are not all consumed. What do you make of this?
Yeah, that's a possibility of any aquatic worms. But with fish in the tank, they'll hunt down any that are visible especial bottom dwellers like Cory cats or loaches. They will actually big a little to get the worms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I didn't know that Carolina had dero cultures! I have to get my hands on some asap...except that I'm a college student who spends a maximum of 3 months home in a year. Good luck on the cultures!

You're probably familiar with what's in here, but I figured you might want to take a look-see at this:
Urban Aquaria: Live Foods - Microfex / Dero Worms Culture

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't know that Carolina had dero cultures! I have to get my hands on some asap...except that I'm a college student who spends a maximum of 3 months home in a year. Good luck on the cultures!

You're probably familiar with what's in here, but I figured you might want to take a look-see at this:
Urban Aquaria: Live Foods - Microfex / Dero Worms Culture
If you want to wait a few months, my culture should be a good size and maybe save money on shipping with 2 day priority.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
In a few months, I'll probably be back in college, stuck with an animal-less planted tank...but maybe I'll take you up on the offer next summer. How much did Carolina make you pay for shipping?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:
They're eating a whole small wafer a week now. The population tripled, perhaps more. They reproduce pretty fast as long as there is food.

The sponge filter is on low flow and I guess it's doing its job.

·
Registered
568 Posts
just a thought,, not sure if you are looking for smaller worms or not but why
not culture live black worms? i am currently doing this, plus i get 1 LB of live
black worms shipping included for <$50... i started my culture months before
i got my fish since i knew they would eat a ton(10 discus and 2 stingrays).
in 4 months i probably doubled my worms and possibly could have tripled, if
not more, if i kept them in a pebble substrate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.