The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old 55.. friend of a friend.. anyway, the trim was busted so we ripped it all off. The tank is sitting with MGO capped in filler sand planted stems.. thing is, my girlfriends bumblebee has a mouth full of eggs and i would like to raise some of the fry. So, the tank needs to be filled.

I filled it to 9 inches with substrate and water and there was 1 mm bow front to back. I would like to have it sit a little deeper...

Should i: a) let it sit shallow?
B)call around and order a top piece with a center brace?
C)raise the fry in storage tubs?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You could replace the missing center brace with a piece of 6 mm glass, about 3" wide, to fit inside the front/back glass. Just lower the water way down to eliminate the bowing, clean the glass at the top very well, then use aquarium quality silicone to glue the glass piece between the front and back glass. Let it cure for a few days, and it should be good to fill all the way.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
IF you are going to use a 3" piece of 6mm (1/4") glass then you should let the tank bow a tiny bit so the bracing glass fits snugly.

IF you place a 1/4" glass with no tank bowing, what can happen in time is that the front or rear can start to separate from the diy brace when filled (bowing) after a while. (I have seen it before)

Now if you eurobraced the tank using custom strips from a glass shop then you dont have to worry about how snug the center brace is, becuase its being well braced .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts