The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if the MTS require the sand to be a certain depth because I heard they like to dig and move around under the substrate.

I recently changed my substrate to black sand to enhance the colour of my RCS so I'm wondering how much sand I should really put in... my friend told me I should add more because my sand looks a bit shallow... and I'm a bit hesistant to do so because it'll take a bit of work and I don't want to stress my shrimps out (don't worry I have a LOT of this sand).

In addition, is it important to have sand substrate at a certain level? is there any danger for keeping sand substrate that low? does anyone side with my friend or is this depth okay?

Pictures:

Tank Setup (Overall):

Front of Tank:

Back of Tank:

Side of Tank:

Other Far Side of Tank:

·
Registered
342 Posts
off topic question, what's that blue looking rice thing?

i had sand before, and it was just like 1 inch.. it was fine with my rcs, but i took it out cause it was hard to clean.. dust bubbles are annoying. lol.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Here's what I think:

It looks fine the way it is. I can't see any reason it would need to be any deeper other than for asthetic reasons. People raise all types of animals in bare bottom tanks with no ill effects so why should a relatively shallow amount of sand be an issue. As far as the MTS goes, My tank is about the same depth and no issues. I have a healthy population. Personally I would say that as long as it clears the plastic rim at the bottom of the aquarium, you won't be losing any viewing space by creating hiding spaces below the rim. And by the way, that tank looks MUCH better with the black sand in it. What is it? I recently set up a 5.5 using the black Repti-Sand. It was fairly cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I think it looks MUCH better with the black sand in it too.

The black sand is: Caribsea Black Tahitian Moon Sand

I got a 20 LBS bag of it and I could afford to add more sand if I want to, but if it looks okay as it is then I'll probably leave it alone =p thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Tahitian Black you say... from the pic it looks just like the Repti-Sand I used. I wonder if it's all the same stuff in a different bag. How much is it for you locally if I might ask. I think I got the Repti-Sand for about $10 for a 10lb bag.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tahitian Black you say... from the pic it looks just like the Repti-Sand I used. I wonder if it's all the same stuff in a different bag. How much is it for you locally if I might ask. I think I got the Repti-Sand for about $10 for a 10lb bag.
I had to pay like ~28 bucks (this is including tax) for a 20lb bag ;A; because it was the only size bag they had. And I got this from Petsmart.

Sigh* I really wished they sold a 10lb bag lol... it was really all I needed and would of been more cost effective but oh well. I'm happy with my sand in my tank.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know it's a little off-topic but I have to ask...

You WANT MTS in your amazing looking RCS tank? Wouldn't they just outcompete the shrimp for food and create loads of waste that will further stress out everything living in the tank?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm one of those people who believe that MTS can be good for a tank. And because I only have a few and don't overfeed they won't overpopulate and "outcompete/compete" with the shrimp. Also, I doubt the bioload of MTS will do much lol.

Besides the main reason I got them for my tank was for the sand for "Substrate Oxygenation and Mixing"

"MTS spend most of their time under burrowed into the substrate. This keeps the substrate mixed up, not allowing the substrate to settle into divided levels, and they also allow oxygen to get to the bacteria found in the substrate!"

- Source: http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/malaysian-trumpet-snails.php

and besides they only come out at night so they don't really bother me... anyways I think their cone shaped shell is kind of neat.

and Thank you for calling my tank "amazing looking" :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm one of those people who believe that MTS can be good for a tank. And because I only have a few and don't overfeed they won't overpopulate and "outcompete/compete" with the shrimp. Also, I doubt the bioload of MTS will do much lol.

Besides the main reason I got them for my tank was for the sand for "Substrate Oxygenation and Mixing"

"MTS spend most of their time under burrowed into the substrate. This keeps the substrate mixed up, not allowing the substrate to settle into divided levels, and they also allow oxygen to get to the bacteria found in the substrate!"

- Source: http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/malaysian-trumpet-snails.php

and besides they only come out at night so they don't really bother me... anyways I think their cone shaped shell is kind of neat.

and Thank you for calling my tank "amazing looking" :D
Hmmm I didn't know MTS actually served a purpose besides making Petco tanks look hideous :hihi:

What exactly does aerating the substrate in such a manner achieve tho? Are you doing it so that the substrate can act as an additional biological filter? Wouldn't a UG/HOB combination serve that purpose better?

I've never heard of people keeping snails in a tank for such a purpose and it's interesting seeing a post about them that doesn't involve killing them en- masse lol.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm I didn't know MTS actually served a purpose besides making Petco tanks look hideous :hihi:

What exactly does aerating the substrate in such a manner achieve tho? Are you doing it so that the substrate can act as an additional biological filter? Wouldn't a UG/HOB combination serve that purpose better?

I've never heard of people keeping snails in a tank for such a purpose and it's interesting seeing a post about them that doesn't involve killing them en- masse lol.
I actually made a thread way back about MTS and someone had responded with this (which also answers your question to why I wanted MTS in my tank):

"The reason MTS are good for a small grain sand is because small grain sand traps anaerobic pockets, where the bacteria in the sand will create a toxic gas as they consume nitrates. If these pockets aren't frequently disrupted by movement, they'll build up this gas and release it all at once, which basically gasses any inhabitants in the area. Most fish can survive this, but there are some which will die, and in a 5.5 gallon tank, the risk towards livestock will be greater.

The MTS scoot around under the surface and stir those anaerobic areas, releasing the gas before it has a chance to build up.

They aren't necessary if you stir your substrate manually, but it's easier to just keep a family of MTS in the tank." - This post was from mordalphus

and here is the thread I made http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s...4-snail-genocide-question-about-mts-sand.html

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW how did your moss looks like attached to the sand OP?
Whoops didn't see that question.

And to be honest.. I was actually happy + surprised that my moss took that shape onto the sand substrate.

I have no idea why it formed that way... I just told myself nature makes things look best and just threw my Java Moss in there lol.

Uhh I pretty much made my Java Moss into a shape of a bar of soap and squished it into the side of the tank. And there were pieces of moss flying about and everything and they just landed on the sand and started building up.. and then it looked looked like a neat golf course grass kind of thing.

Sorry I couldn't give you a method to actually purposely make the Java Moss stick to the sand. But, feel free to try what I did... I can't guarantee it'll work for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.