The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love these guys.. I found them at the local Petsmart for $4.. thinking they messed up the pricing.. was going to buy a bunch..but they had some sickly fish in the near by tanks and I passed.. went back a week later and they were $9 each lol.. my other LFS (non chain) had them at $14..

Anyway.. I bought a few of them and so far they have been doing wonderfully..

Anyone else keep these guys??

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
I love these guys.. I found them at the local Petsmart for $4.. thinking they messed up the pricing.. was going to buy a bunch..but they had some sickly fish in the near by tanks and I passed.. went back a week later and they were $9 each lol.. my other LFS (non chain) had them at $14..

good price, make sure they get enough food, will grow nice and big.
I saw some almost 7 inch specimen in my LFS, huge and nice, definitely fish for large planted tank with a lot of open space.

Petsmart was having a 50% off sale so it wasn't a price mess-up. No, I don't keep them because they are wild-caught and are a threatened species. The cause? The aquarium fish trade. :p
still reading the info pages 10 years ago?
Google is a good friend, but make sure yourself is qualify to understand and justify whatever you found from google.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I can appreciate wanting to protect endangered species but I'm not going to deprive myself to prove that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Well I can appreciate wanting to protect endangered species but I'm not going to deprive myself to prove that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:)
If you spent more than $50 a piece 10 years ago, definitely wild caught, but not today, wild stock harvesting is prohibited and we all can enjoy the $4 a piece which are farm raised.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Actually $14 dollars seems cheap for this fish. Denisons are stunning. They're quite rare in the wild and HIGHLY sought after!! I have a school of 6 in my 180L/45G, I bought them quite young (they still have their vertical stripes) and find they're easy to keep, can't wait until they're older and BIGGER! While young they tend to sometimes linger near the bottom of the tank, so as to avoid strong currents near the surface (as they would in the wild). So have a nice flow going to mimic this.

Mine love to swim among the dwarf sag at the bottom so they do seem to enjoy the cover of FG plants. I try to feed them a variety of flake, live, and frozen. Plus i've heard feeding them blood worms enhances their red colouring, enjoy! :proud:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.