The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't need to "cycle" the tank by adding ammonia, it doesn't serve any useful purpose and may inhibit the development of an appropriate microbial community.

I like to plant the tank and then leave it to "grow in". Have a look at <"Oxygen levels required..."> and linked threads.

If you have actively growing plants you have "plant/microbe filtration", which is much efficient and flexible than "microbe only" biofiltration.
thanks me later....

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
You don't need to "cycle" the tank by adding ammonia, it doesn't serve any useful purpose and may inhibit the development of an appropriate microbial community.

I like to plant the tank and then leave it to "grow in". Have a look at <"Oxygen levels required..."> and linked threads.

If you have actively growing plants you have "plant/microbe filtration", which is much efficient and flexible than "microbe only" biofiltration.
thanks me later....
Actually, you always need a source of ammonia when cycling at new tank. Otherwise there is no such thing as a cycle. That source can be aqua soil, fish food, decaying plant matter, actual straight ammonia, fish poop, or something else. But there has to be a source of ammonia otherwise bacteria can't grow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, you always need a source of ammonia when cycling at new tank. Otherwise there is no such thing as a cycle. That source can be aqua soil, fish food, decaying plant matter, actual straight ammonia, fish poop, or something else. But there has to be a source of ammonia otherwise bacteria can't grow.
i think you are right....

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thanks me later....
I never add ammonia, I add a table shrimp. If you're setting up a brand new, unboxed a day ago, tank with brand spanking new everything you will have to cycle your tank in order to have livestock. I've never ever NOT cycled a start up tank, be it with ammonia available from an active substrate, to using a table shrimp, to adding feeder guppies, you need to set the nitrogen process off somehow. I agree if I were just doing plants it wouldn't be as pressing but if you're trying to convince me that is can add inert substrate and plants and voila I can add whatever I want I'm gonna say you're out of your mind.

D'oh discussion played out before I posted lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.