The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the expensive Dennerle Shrimp food (Complete and Snow Peas) and I get zero interest from my Crystal Red Shrimps. Over the span of a month, I've alternated and added them to a feeding tray only to take it out without ever being touched.

Is this product not popular with CRS?

Going to try the MK breed one next. Their white ones seems specific for CRS.
Spinach and Fluval granules seem to work occasionally..

Any recommendations for CRS food that they go crazy over?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought the expensive Dennerle Shrimp food (Complete and Snow Peas) and I get zero interest from my Crystal Red Shrimps. Over the span of a month, I've alternated and added them to a feeding tray only to take it out without ever being touched.

Thanks
I can confirm the same for me. My cherry and Amano shrimps do not care for it at all. My cory cats and dwarf crayfish are only mildly interested in it.

My shrimps go nuts over the Hikari Mini Algae Wafers and Sinking Wafers. I alternate between both. I also use the Hikari Shrimp pellets as well but they would prefer the sinking wafers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My blue dream neo’s and tangerine tigers go crazy over Dennerle complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can confirm the same for me. My cherry and Amano shrimps do not care for it at all. My cory cats and dwarf crayfish are only mildly interested in it.

My shrimps go nuts over the Hikari Mini Algae Wafers and Sinking Wafers. I alternate between both. I also use the Hikari Shrimp pellets as well but they would prefer the sinking wafers.
Good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks
I really change it up when it comes to food. Bacter AE is a great everyday. With that is a micro- amount of ONE of the following: dried pressed mulbery leaves, CSF Bee pollen, Mineral Junkie, Shrimp Baby, Shrimp Fit, Algae Wafers. I also use Magic Powder once a month with serious water changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really change it up when it comes to food. Bacter AE is a great everyday. With that is a micro- amount of ONE of the following: dried pressed mulbery leaves, CSF Bee pollen, Mineral Junkie, Shrimp Baby, Shrimp Fit, Algae Wafers. I also use Magic Powder once a month with serious water changes.
Thanks Shrimp Tech. I do add a bit of Bacter AE every day and i'm starting to add Shrimp Fit twice a week.
I also alternate with shrimp dinner and Hikari wafers daily, but I'm often taking out what I put in every 24 hours.

I did notice my PH got a bit high; slightly above 7. Perhaps their appetite will come around if I slowly brought that back down.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
I feed either glasgarten dinner pads 2 or dennerle and have good interest with both. Previously on shirakura ebi dama. Also similar interest. Maybe you got a sour batch.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Is Bacter Ae suppose to be used daily?
I purchased 24 CRS and 12 hrs after adding them I tried a piece of shrimp king complete. Shrimp never touched it. I removed the feeding dish. I have the bacter ae just haven't used any yet. Shrimp are a quarter of a inch tanks been running 3 months shrimp just added.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Your srimp won't eat for a few days any food you add for the most part. They will have plenty of biofilm in the tank to eat if it's cycled. Also they will grow an appetite over the next week.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
@latchdan besides what Jeff said, Bacter AE can be hit or miss... and it's recommended to use a SMALL amount of it as using too much, even half the recommended dose, could cause shrimp deaths. There was one person who couldn't use any at all without killing off shrimp...

Just use with caution.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
@latchdan besides what Jeff said, Bacter AE can be hit or miss... and it's recommended to use a SMALL amount of it as using too much, even half the recommended dose, could cause shrimp deaths. There was one person who couldn't use any at all without killing off shrimp...

Just use with caution.
Yeah I was watching some videos on how little to use. I'll hold off feeding anything for a few days.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bacter AE is fantastic but is definitely not a daily food. You Must have good oxygenation as well, or you will get hypoxia, ammonia spikes, and dead shrimp. I found this the hard way after innocently following package directions. Your first symptom will be your shrimp not eating anything. I use the little white spoon from the baby brine shrimp from aquarium coop, 2 spoons mixed into about 20 mls water, spread between 4 tanks. Once a week!
But its fantastic for getting a good colony of bacteria in your filter media as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My shrimp nursery tanks all get Bacter AE and Baby Shrimp every day. (Shrimp Fit weekly) I use very small amounts (1/2 pea sized volume) twice a day mixing it with a 5ml pipette and drop it in all 4 corners. Running sponge filter so oxygenating is not a big issue, but if using without an air-stone start with very small amounts.

Shrimp growth and colors have been much better since I started daily with both Bacter AE and Baby Shrimp. I noticed a large decline in culls as % with acceptable color rose noticeably.

Also after offering it more often, the livestock is coming around to the Dennerle Complete. I guess it is so different from what they had be getting they weren't interested at first but now seem to like it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Well I tried the complete 1 week later. Shrimp never even came close to it for several hours so it was removed.
I bought a sample pack curious what I should try next, I got snow pops,5 leaf mix, mineral, and protein.
I added bacter ae before a water change last week. (Smaller than grain of rice).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My shrimp nursery tanks all get Bacter AE and Baby Shrimp every day. (Shrimp Fit weekly) I use very small amounts (1/2 pea sized volume) twice a day mixing it with a 5ml pipette and drop it in all 4 corners. Running sponge filter so oxygenating is not a big issue, but if using without an air-stone start with very small amounts.

Shrimp growth and colors have been much better since I started daily with both Bacter AE and Baby Shrimp. I noticed a large decline in culls as % with acceptable color rose noticeably.

Also after offering it more often, the livestock is coming around to the Dennerle Complete. I guess it is so different from what they had be getting they weren't interested at first but now seem to like it.
I actually gave your technique a try and started noticing a little difference. I mixed Bacter AE in a 15oz bottle and shake it up, adding a small dose with a pipet daily. Shrimp are becoming more active and they were touching the Dennerle snow pops, which is a first. Color looks strong too.

To be fair, I also spent the last month slowly adjusting the PH and increasing GH to about 6 with Salty Shrimp GH+. I think a combination of all this is creating the better water column and encouraging appetite.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Thanks
Looking for a update any of your shrimp go after the food? I noticed my shrimp are going for the complete now and also the snow pops tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking for a update any of your shrimp go after the food? I noticed my shrimp are going for the complete now and also the snow pops tonight.
The shrimp have been very active and I see a lot of molted shells which means they're growing! But they're still slow to go after the Dennerle food products.
They will graze over the Snow Pops, and I see a few of them touching some of the Complete, but it seems their interest levels are pretty low when it comes to it.
I even bough the MK brand shrimp sticks with similar results to Dennerle; they'll touch it a bit and then walk away. This is also after I've reduced feeding. Still feeding morning and evening while cleaning out what doesn't get touched, but I'm putting in a tiny fraction of what I used to.

Oddly enough, the cheaper Fluval granules are still a hit along with acorns and almond leaves.

Will check my PH again which was riding a bit high, though I'm not sure if that will have an impact on food preference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wanted to give an update for people trying different shrimp feed without breaking the bank.
Recently I tried the Extreme Shrimpee Sticks from aquarium co-op. It's only $6 vs. the $20 Dennerle products and both my Crystal Reds and Sunkist Orange shrimps eat it. Definitely a more cost effective item to try.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Just wanted to give an update for people trying different shrimp feed without breaking the bank.
Recently I tried the Extreme Shrimpee Sticks from aquarium co-op. It's only $6 vs. the $20 Dennerle products and both my Crystal Reds and Sunkist Orange shrimps eat it. Definitely a more cost effective item to try.
Good to know.
I bought the dennerle sample it's 5 in 1. Picked it up for under 18, my shrimp are showing more interest on all products. It's 6g per sample and I imagine they will all expire before I use them all only got 13 CRS no breeding yet.
I'm feeding 2x a week with a bacter 1x a week (Rice size amount)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts