The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why use them? Most of us have to add nitrates.
I use denitrator pouches in my 37 gallon and this has allowed my fish to thrive without cycling the tank as it removes ammonia and nitrates. Keep in mind this tank only has java ferns and they are producing babies very rapidly even without any ammonia or low nitrates. It's a PITA to change the pouches every two weeks though.

I was hoping I could use a denitrator for my 75 gallon iwagumi tank as I want to keep discus but don't want the hassle of fish dying due to ammonia spikes or doing 30%+ water changes every week such to make sure the water parameters are pristine.

·
Banned
628 Posts
You will need some Nitrate. I wouldn't use the pillows. Products like that have never worked out for me. Yeah, for sure the water changes are a chore. Would a fifty foot Python reach your tank? How about a hundred foot one? Python Products Inc. Products Page

Water changes are the essence of this hobby. Discus are beautiful but challenging. They need a clean tank with a bare bottom if you want to breed them. I have seen them in planted tanks. If you can't get around to regular water changes you don't stand a chance of taking care of plants let alone Discus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.