The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I have an account, not active though.

I'm waiting till after college for darts. I've been reading up on them since before I got into this hobby though... You just can't leave them for a while alone really, but progress has been made in that area as well with the composting vivs and stuff.

What'd you get?
-Andrew

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got 3 dendrobates auratus reticulated but i got them from a local place that had know business having them they were all in a a tiny plastic "cricket holder" for well over a month so i told the lady I'd give her $100 for the 3 she took it but I'm having a tough time trying to figure out the local and morph i think there either Hawaiian or Nicaraguan
either way there really cool except having to culture fruit fly's thats weird my buddy's are creeped out

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I have an account also, but have never posted there. I've been planning to get some darts for about 2 years now. Hopefully someday soon I'll get around to it.

Where did you get them from? Is there a local petstore I don't know about?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@jflng; i got them at coastline pets they have yellow and black Nicaraguans in the front at the register then they had the ones i got in the back reptile area they were hardly noticeable no lights on over their enclosure they have a couple "bumblebee" what ever that is there nice people but not very knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I didn't know this place existed. I live on the opposite end of the beach, about an hour and a half away. I might have to take a trip to see what they have.

Is it common for them to carry dart frogs? Do yours seem healthy? How's their fishy section?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got an account on there under the same name but also not active. I've been slooowly setting up a 30gal vivarium in the hopes of getting some PDFs eventually. Got side tracked with a planted tank though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome I'm glad to see alot of us have more than one expensive hobby lol!
what kind of darts does everyone have?
@jflng; they don't usually have anything other then the yellow and blacks. mine seemed healthy when i got them. maybe a little skinny . but i lost one it was the smallest it died about 1 1/2 weeks after i got them the other 2 seem fine it's been awhile now and there both packing on weight and getting fat little belly's there very active always hunting extra fruit flys that are hiding in the substrate i was very surprised to see how much the actually eat probably 2-3 hundred f.f. a day. amazing! very entertaining little s.o..b's
coastline has an o.k. fish section some cool stuff they have fresh water stingrays and some cool discus.there plants are not good they are always covered in bba there mostly a salty store.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. It figures that's what their plant section is like. The pet store near me has some pretty shoddy looking plants as well. I may still have to pay them a visit soon.

They really eat that many fruit flies daily? wow! Are your ff cultures large enough to keep up with the demand?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@jflng its a cool little shop to check out if your near it. yep they eat the crap out of them flies i got my culture from Patrick at saurian.net really nice guy the culture kit he sent me was a great start and the started culture produced a lot of flies to start out with the cultures i started are taking off quickly. 3 days after i got the first culture kit he accidentally sent out a second! happy accident!

@cliner;cool man! yep i think i found my new addiction hehe!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not on Denroboard, but I've been keeping darts for almost 5 years, they are a lot of fun. I've got 2 Green and black auratus, 1 blue and black auratus and 1 leucomelas (bumble bee). Trying to convince the wife to let me get some imitators this Spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts