The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a Jack Dempsey in a 55 with some african cichlids. Hes grown to about 7" now so I just got him a 75 gal tank but was wondering what other fish I might put in with him. Has anyone had any success with ottos or corys?

He gets in minor tussles with my adult Africans but doesn't mind the babies, they don't seem to mind him either. Seeing how he is with them I was thinking smaller fish with plenty of hiding spots and since he has always been in a community tank I thought he might adapt to new tank mates a little easier.

Now I know that conventional wisdom is no tank mates or only those that can fight back however he is really quite placid by Dempsey standards and I would like to have a cleaning crew in the tank with him so I'm just interested in ideas of what might work.

Or other smaller fish in the semi aggressive range that might be an option?

Here he is in his old tank with the babies.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
My dad keeps a couple chichlid tanks, he has a Dempsey in one of the tanks, and the only thing he has been able to keep with it is other chichlids. His dempsey is not overly agressive, burbs eats anything smallerthan an adult yellow lab like popcorn.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think cory's might be fine if you have some fast dither fish in there too. I had a couple dempseys, couple green terrors, and oscars in a 220 once. I had some danio's as dither fish and those "killers" never bothered my cory's and pleco's. Just don't get something like pygmy cories, get something that gets a bit larger like the bronze cory's. Loaches are also a good option.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Maybe large adult cories will be fine, and if you can build them a cave (like a coconut shell) where they can dart in and out in case of attacts, they might do fine.

Keep the Jack well fed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well corys are in with my jack. He cared for about an hour and then stopped. They are doing great, pretending to be rocks whenever he is around.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Anything that can fit in his mouth will eventually be found in his mouth. I've kept jacks for years. They each have different personalities and though the corys may be safe for now don't be suprised if they start to disappear one day. If you do add other cichlids keep in mind they will pair and breed with green terrors/jewel cichlids/convicts and a couple others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts