The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
29gal Riparium:

Tank is painted and cleaned...all ready to go, so I decided on a Riparium since it would be cool/different.

Fauna:
Various Nano-Fish...

Flora:
Peace Lilies
Anubias Barteri, Nana, &, Frazeri
Various Crypts
Amazon Sword
Duckweed
Java Moss
Java Fern
Riccia
Hairgrass
H.C.
Salivania Natans
Water Wisteria
Ludwiga Repens

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, No, it never stops!

I'm thinking instead of buying 2 10gal's for my Firebellied toads/newts, I'm going to divide a 20gL and do this 'scape...Then of course a 10gal will go to like 3 Hermit Crabs...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, In addition to this tank that might be up and running soon, will be a 29gal Riparium setup for Crypts, Anubias, Peace Lilies, & Java Ferns...Maybe a few others, but I don't remember...

Fish for it will just be Nano-Fish as refered to in the first post I'm going to edit in a few .

The 20gL is just going to be an emeresed tank with a Scape[having all the plants I said] but just 3-5 Firebellied Newts [I'd like to breed & sell them...].

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Hydrophyte. Lighting is just 3x 20W T8 Bulbs. I'm not sure what kind of light I'm getting to replace them but getting 2x 18W T5's for my planted Goldfish tank. If I have my way, this tank will be getting those same lights. I'm just running REALLY low on money and I've still got to move...eventually.

I'm actually deeply considering scraping this 30gal[Rounding...] and going with a 20GH simply since it's smaller and less...weird being 2'. LOL This one is very hard to find the right lights for because it's 6" from being 3 feet. Ugh.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Yeah 30" is an odd size. It can work alright though if you can hang your fixture up a few inches for better spread, or if you can stagger two separate strips.

I put two 24" strips on my 56 Column and the light spread is good. That tank is tall though--I think it's 24" tall--and I made the canopy with some of that bumpy acrylic light diffusor plate.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this 29 yet...It's going to be the Temp. Riparium to see if I want to go further with it or not...but overall, I don't think I'm going to keep it running forever...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I cant wait to see your rip Kenny! They are so cool!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me either! I'm really tempted to get started...but...well, you know what? I might move the tank and set it where it NEEDS to be! :D I'm trying to convince my parents...IF I paint the back porch post, they need to buy me the planter baskets. :D I'm actually pretty excited about it!

So agenda for tonight:

Move tank on table...move other 29 over...
Clean black/brown gravel, add it [TONS...]

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Tank is good to go! Tomorrow, I am going to fill 'er up and put the power head in...so, basically, this tank will be ready to order the supplies & plants...

I'm going to slowly start replacing equipment and eventually have some fish in here.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another thing I've decided, instead of having 2 tanks, why not let the Riparium grow emersed plants as well, meaning letting them grow out from the water basin poking out from the Salvinia natans...OooooOOO...This will be fun!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tank is filled! Alittle murky tho since I brought home some S. Natans & Red Root Floater from a park[1 handful]...I'm wondering if any fish hitched hiked in...and am kinda hoping. These native fish can be really cool! My favorites are the Het. Formosa!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I wish I lived in FL! Its pretty hard to find tropical plants and fish in GB! Post pics if you can!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once I get the new tank I will, but a friend stopped by asking about my then empty 29gal and offered 50 bucks...I said 30 [buck per gallon] and he took it..so the Riparium project, is on hold AGAIN! :( It's quite funny though when you think about it! It's like I'm banned from having a riparium...oh well, one day...maybe even soon!

I put all the plants in the 10 and the rocks are drying [& substrate is in a bucket]

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got another 29gal[free, Oak trimmed, Back Black] and setup my forgotten 20gH stand. I tested and it doesn't leak, but, eventually, I WOULD like to downsize to a 20gH, but right now, it's not a concern. All the plants I have ATM are outside in a 4gal "pond" but I'm going to go head and order the supplies when I can.

This one looks worse then my old 29, but I'll get it clean SOON. It's just kinda chillin' for right now tho, since tomorrow is my B-Day and I'm not really dead set on getting it going. [A new 20gH is 35$ and I got no $$ right now except to *MAYBE* buy the plants along with the planters]

Wish me luck, I'm sure it's going to be a challenge!

Oh - Fauna for in here is 3-4 regular Endlers/Wild Guppies & 10 Tiger Endlers...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Be bold! Go start the riparium and never look back. If you like "houseplants" in general, you can't help but enjoy a riparium. And, it combines your houseplant interest with your aquarium interest - best of both worlds.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ugh, this is making me change the entire layout of my room around [and I love it! ROFL].

The 10 is visible when you first walk in the room [meaning, it'll trip me until I get used to it. LOL] with the 5.5 right below, the 29gal will be closer to the door on a different side, the 2nd 55 is going where the 29 table is and the Riparium will be going in the corner where the 10 is currently. And I wonder why I have no room in my room!! LOL -- All of this has FORCED me into getting a laptop instead of another desktop. But, my darn laptop is at dell being repaired. Oh well.....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Be bold! Go start the riparium and never look back. If you like "houseplants" in general, you can't help but enjoy a riparium. And, it combines your houseplant interest with your aquarium interest - best of both worlds.
I'm definitely excited about it! I love house plants, but my cats always found a way to eat them, so hopefully, this will work out. It is an open topped tank though...sooooo....:confused:

The Endlers survive though just about any thing, so I enjoy them, yet, don't worry! :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I bleach soaked the tank and cleaned it as best I could.

I'm planning for this thing to have 55W over it [I think] of T8 light for now [3x Bulbs]...I set it back on the stand and went to petco and bought some Mondo Grass [looking for black too] which is chillin' in my little pond of plants waiting for this tank to be setup.

3x Endlers are in the 1.5gal Tank also waiting, but more fish to come in this tank! I'm even hoping to have a Blue Neon Goby in here at some point in time[but he may go in the dream ADA tank] and of course, some other small fish will live in here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts