The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been out of the hobby for about five years, and as I start to get back into things I’m at a loss about remineralization. I had used Mosura Mineral Plus for years, but apparently it’s no longer made? So is the Salty Shrimp product the only thing available these days? Or, is there some other reasonably easy way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks for the input!

Tom

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
There are a lot of remineralizers out there....

Salty Shrimp
SL-Aqua
Vin
Shrimp Nature
Lowkeys
Salty Bee
Borneowild
Brightwell Aquatics
Dennerle/Shrimp King
GlasGarten
Aquavitro (Seachem)

Some people use minerals that are not designed for shrimp.... some of these result in "dirtier" water (that is, higher TDS compared to GH/KH)

Seachem Equilibrium
Kent R/O Right
Nutrafin African Cichlid Conditioner

I do see Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra for sale? But does not seem to be an ideal GH remineralizer?

In short, there are A LOT of options out there.

Powder remineralizers will be more bang for the buck, thus lasting longer.

However, liquid remineralizers may have more 'ingredients' in them that may be beneficial to shrimp - plus faster mixing rates

Salty Shrimp is a common and popular product as it's one of the cheaper options AND easily available. I've used Salty Shrimp before although currently am using Aqualex (SL-Aqua).

Make sure that whatever shrimp you decide to keep, you get the appropriate minerals and tank setup for them... i.e. inert substrate, you want GH and KH minerals. Depending on brand, you may be able to purchase an "all in one" product, or you may need to purchase them separately.

If you go with active substrate that lowers the pH of the water, make sure you get a GH only remineralizer.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate the detailed information. All the places that list Mosura show out of stock, so I'm guessing it's no longer made. Regardless, I'd much rather proceed with something that is currently the "recommended" solution. I'm going to give the Salty Shrimp a go, and will indeed be using inert substrate.

Again, I really appreciate your help!

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.