The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool and somewhat relevant story...

Was at the local Petsmart checking out the new arrivals when the ladies at the cash registers started flipping out...I went over to see what was going on and there was a toebiter crawling into the store!! They had no clue what it was or where it came from. I told them what it was and that it is a locally indigenous species and one of the managers got me a little container to put it in. My kids are in love with it, it's almost as long as the deli cup is wide!! I keep thinking about keeping it as it's supposed to be relatively easy, but I think me and the kids are going to release it at the pond :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Haha that's awesome! I LOVE Dobsonflies! I have a pic of my son with his hand next to a huge male for comparison. He was hanging out on the screen door!

My Giant Water Bug is going on a field trip monday to my son's school for "insect week" LOL! We set her up temporarily in a ten gallon tank with a screen lid so she'll be happy over the weekend. Then when they get home we're going to release her in the large pond out front (not a koi pond ;) )

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the water spiders, I'd check online (where we are lucky to be able to get darn near anything!) but check state regs first. We have a small pond at the moment but are surrounded by larger (1/2 to 5 acre) ponds/lakes. I love the myriad of life in them! In our own pond we get frogs, water striders (one of my faves), whirligigs and all kinds of cool stuff. We've been lucky not to have a turtle show up yet.

How did you happen to get a pond full of dragonfly nymphs? I'm curious, cuz that's really cool!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts