The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's a shame, she's a pretty color. Rich red and shiny.
Is it an older shrimp? Do they get sway backed like some other older Momma critters?
I don't have much experience with shrimp, and not at the culling point yet; learning as I'm going.

-Stef*

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's maybe about 6 months? If I find another that has same head shape issue then it must be genetic, right? And if it is should I euthanize them? I have a cull tank where I put the ones whose colors are not great but I wouldn't want to put them there and have this trait be passed on. It is sad either way :(

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
*If* it is a mutation, some are passed on and some aren't. Just because something pops up does not mean others will get it. You could breed her separately and see if it continues in f1/f2. If so, then cull. If not, then you have some great coloration background in cherries.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Umm, depends too on what you would like to do. If it is genetic, and it isn't harming the shrimp, you could try breeding the feature into the shrimp, even exaggerate it. Then you would have something truly unique that I am sure people would buy. Just an idea.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
little deformities are not uncommon. Japanese breeders its more common because they solely focus on color and not the body. there are even a few breeders who are knows for having shrimp with shorter stumpy type bodies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.