The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my 1st post and I've read/searched a lot on low tech tanks. I have my 10 gallon started with some sand, a bunch of low light plants, standard 15w powerglo, and a filter sponge from my 20 gallon. This article by Steve Hampton has been the most informative so far, but I'm not sure what is meant by a low fish load. For a 10 gallon does that mean something like 4 neons or 1 paradise fish? Is there such a thing as too low of a fish load for a low tech tank?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hello there...

I am not going to read your link, but basically what ya want is a fish load in the tank where the feeding, an the fish waste will give the plants the nutrients they need. To little fish=to little nutrients. To many fish=algae.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The fishload thing is kind of relative. In my sort of low tech 10 gallon at work, I have 15 neons and cardinals, but 20+ cherry shrimps and 2 Amanos. I am using a 27W PC fixture on legs through a glass top. I am having to dose nitrates because it's measuring 0 most of the time. You wouldn't think my load is too low, but because of the lighting and the density of my planting, it is. So "light" is relative to your nitrate uptake capacity of your tank, I think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fishload thing is kind of relative. In my sort of low tech 10 gallon at work, I have 15 neons and cardinals, but 20+ cherry shrimps and 2 Amanos. I am using a 27W PC fixture on legs through a glass top. I am having to dose nitrates because it's measuring 0 most of the time. You wouldn't think my load is too low, but because of the lighting and the density of my planting, it is. So "light" is relative to your nitrate uptake capacity of your tank, I think.
Ok, so I'll keep an eye on the nitrate level...it's been 0-5ppm before the fish, hopefully it'll be a little higher after the fish run amuck for a while. I got 1 dwarf gourami and 4 cories the other day, here

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Based on that pic, you should be fine. I'd keep an eye on the nitrate and phosphate levels for a while to check to see if you are close to an equilibrium between waste production and plant uptake, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would move the swords to the back of the tank, an put a 1/2 jobe stick under each of em. Make sure you bury the 1/2 jobe stick at least a couple of inches.

The swords will outgrow yer tank in short order though. :wink:
I sure hope the swords 'bust' my little 10 gal tank :). All of the plants are sprouting leaves and new roots, so far so good I guess. I plan to replace the swords with some some pygmy chain swords, well if I find someone that carries them locally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts