The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All! :x
I write to get your expert opinion on this mysterious plant decay in Staurogyne repens.

the Repens were growing well and i even trimmed them recently. Since few days back i am seeing parts of leafs are missing. It appears like a Caterpillar eaten leaf. but there are holes in the middle in some leafs as well.
FYI It developed some BBA on in and i spot treated it some Seachem - Flourish Excel. It might be not the cause but this happened after about a week doing this.
I am puzzled whats going on. no other plant is having any similar problem. please help me before the whole bed disappears.. :frown2:

12 Gal
Compressed Co2 given

Attachments

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Looks like you have a nibbler of some kind.

Not a deficiency.

Observe the tank and see who it is, I don't think the neons are to blame. I'm unsure about the rummies.

There are aquatic caterpillars that sometimes pop up in people's tanks. They coat themselves with bits of leaf for protection and camouflage, so be sure to have a look around for them. They can tear up a tank pretty quickly.

What other animals do you have in the tank?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you have a nibbler of some kind.

Not a deficiency.

Observe the tank and see who it is, I don't think the neons are to blame. I'm unsure about the rummies.

There are aquatic caterpillars that sometimes pop up in people's tanks. They coat themselves with bits of leaf for protection and camouflage, so be sure to have a look around for them. They can tear up a tank pretty quickly.

What other animals do you have in the tank?
Hey!
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have rummies, neon and few cherry shrimps and snails.

I also spotted a ramshorn snail yesterday which I haven't seen earlier in my tank. I removed him immediately. Don't know whether it was him who caused the menace..

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
Certainly looks mechanical.

Small common snails are not equipped to do that kind of damage to a healthy leaf. But...if the plant tissue is weakened in some way, then they can chow down.

Some of the leaves look a bit yellow? Macro deficiency perhaps, or something else that has the plant in a bad way to begin with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.