The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank (11 gallon) has been set up for about a month and I have been using ADA ferts (Brighty K and Step 1). I have the E-series light set on 70% (down from 90%..) and my drop checker is always lime green. For the first three weeks I was dosing at about half the recommended values. Now I have switched to dosing the full amount and I am noticing deficiencies in my plants that are not getting better.

1) My S. repens is showing a banding of yellow and green down its leaves. A few (2 or 3) of the new leaves are curled. Otherwise it has been growing and rooting fine.

2) Very slow growth from R. nanjenshan. About 4 or 5 days ago I topped the stems and replanted them. My R. rotundafolia has rooted nicely and is growing at a decent rate. The R. nanjenshan hasn't really done much other than put out some roots.

3) UG is yellow. I think this may have been due to having the lights set at too high of an intensity. Some of the lower growth looks green but the tops are very yellow. Its still growing but mostly upward growth.

From what I've read most of these symptoms could be cause by low potassium and low iron levels. Should I increase the number of pumps I'm putting in the tank or look to supplement iron separately? I used to use the EI method so I'm a little confused about what to do concerning the ADA line of ferts and there isn't a lot of info online.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a pic sorry for the quality this is all I had on my phone. My glass also needs to be wiped down but hopefully this will help out. I will try to get a top down shot for the S. repens when I get back from work.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like each squirt is 1 ml but the instructions call for 1 squirt per 5 gallons every day.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
According to this article, you are missing ECA Fe. And the plants look like Fe deficient.

"During the first three weeks following the construction of the aquarium, use only BRIGHTY K and GREEN BACTER daily. Dosage: BRIGHTY K : 1 ml per 20 l (one sprinkling). GREEN BACTER : 1 drop per 10 l

During this period, partial water changes are essential (30% every 3-4 days). After about three weeks, when nitrites are below 0.2 mg/l, it is essential to add "algae eaters" (Otocinclus affinis, Epalzeorhincus siamensis and Caridina japonica). Reduce the dosage of GREEN BACTER to 1 drop per 10 l every week (when changing water). Once this period is over and if there is no algae begin fertilization with ECA and STEP 1. When considering dosage, carefully inspect the general state of the plants as well as their colouring intensity. Administer STEP 1 until the fourth month, dosing at 1 ml per 20 l three times a week. ECA is to be used three times a week, one drop x 20 l; this dosage can be increased to 1 drop per 10 l should the leaves look particularly faded."

(Aqua Design Amano - Aquariums Australia)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm ok thank you for the info. I thought I had read most people don't use ECA. I will add some seachem FE while Im waiting for my order from AFA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts