The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2-3g bubble bowl with medium light plants that I think is not getting enough light. I was thinking of buying one of these and wanted to know what people who have used them think of the product?
Did they do well for your plants growth? What type of plats (low, medium, high light)?
Did the suction cup keep the light firmly in place (read 1 review where it fell in)? Did you use it on a non flat glass (like a rounded jar or bowl)?

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Yes to all of the above.
You can also unscrew the lens to improve the light spread a bit (this info curtesy of another TPT member).

v3

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have one on a bowl. The suction cup doesn't stick well, and I had to tape it on. I wouldn't trust it not to fall off. It is pretty bright and grows plants, though the focus of the beam is VERY narrow. I use it on a wabi kusa bowl.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes to all of the above.
You can also unscrew the lens to improve the light spread a bit (this info curtesy of another TPT member).

v3
Dang that was a fast response thank you, (and ty for the extra info might try that) ^^
Was going to go get a fugly bulky lamp at a local store but the plants can live a few more days in lacking light, grabbing this instead!
Btw OVT I love your dog, great dane right? I've always wanted one of those but not a lot of room for one (also the short life span from breed issues).

I have one on a bowl. The suction cup doesn't stick well, and I had to tape it on. I wouldn't trust it not to fall off. It is pretty bright and grows plants, though the focus of the beam is VERY narrow. I use it on a wabi kusa bowl.
Nooo I don't want to hear that D: actually better to hear it then experience it (light fall in).. damn now I'm undecided again :c

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I guess YMMV. I currently use 3 of these lights, one on my 1.1g 6" diameter cylinder been there for about a year without shifting, even when i move the vase.

As far as I know, the first documented case on TPT of it not staying on is in another thread on the subject: another member did not remove the protective clear film from the suction cup.

The case of this light falling in, I believe, was mine, not because the suction cup was defective but because I was.

Cleaning the surface helps a lot, as is breathing on the suction cup and then applying it firmly.

The cheapest price is on kensfish com if you swing the free shipping.

Just my personal comments, not promoting any specific products here.

I am always looking for similar items - please do share if you find something similar.

v3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.