The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my new shrimp villa. I'm hoping to keep golden bee shrimp in here.
I was inspired by "somewhatshocked's" 3g thread. Check it out if you got a min.
I started this tank back on 09/12/13. You can see in the pics how it has grown out. I blacked out the back of the tank which makes a big difference. I had to trim the HM once already. It realy started to take off. Now it has settled down and growing vertical and spreading. Hope to get a nice carpet out of it.

Aquarium - Deep Blue 2.3 gallon betta tank (18" L x 6" W x 7" H)
Substrate - Up Aqua shrimp sand w/ added minerals like old sea mud
Light - 18" Beamswork LED
Heater - Aquanest 25W
Thermometer x 2 digital & glass
Filter - Aquaclear 20
hardscape - driftwood, bamboo charcoal shrimp shelters
flora - christmas moss,flame moss,amazon frogbit,hemianthus micranthemoides
Ramshorn snails

Parameters:
Temp 72
PH- 6.2
TDS- 140
KH- 0
GH- 5
NH3- 0
NO2- 0
No3- 0
Po43- 0

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Love the tank. Shrimp will love it.

I got the same tank and light, but moss always goes brown and dies. How long do you use your lights?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a cheap timer for this light and went ahead and set it for 6 hrs on and then it's supposed to turn off. And it did just that. It turned off.... and then turned right back on. :angryfire:angryfireI'm not sure if its the light or the timer. So, for right now I'm switching it on and off manually. I usually have it on for 8 hrs a day. I have some hair algae but not too worried about it. I might cut the light to 4-6 hrs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your tank is lovely. I really like HM--it's such an enthusiastic grower and makes a great carpet in my DIY CO2 tank. I do not know what to say about the hair algae. I always have some around, especially in the moss. I'm hoping one day the moss will "outgrow" it, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool! I like it. Going to throw in some cholla wood? I want to get a few pieces for each of my shrimp tanks. They love it
Unfortunately I have no more room in the tank for cholla wood. But I do have 6 bamboo charcoal caves in there. You just cant see them cause of all the moss growing on them.

Your tank is lovely. I really like HM--it's such an enthusiastic grower and makes a great carpet in my DIY CO2 tank. I do not know what to say about the hair algae. I always have some around, especially in the moss. I'm hoping one day the moss will "outgrow" it, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for the comment. I am use to HA nowwadays. Once in a while a twirl a bamboo skewer in there which keeps it under control.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
El Camarón Aldea

On 11/07/13 I added 11 golden bee shrimp possibly snow white since the shrimp are from crs/cbs tank. Yesterday I added 10 Taiwan PFR's that I got from (soup12). Dripping the pfrs was my longest drip acclimation ever. 71/2 hour to get them conditioned to my tank parameters. As of this morning all the shrimp are partying and having a good time!:bounce:

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
I love Goldens. I think if I ever get into harder shrimp to keep, it would be Goldens.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts