The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some Water Sprite that I want to make sure is clean. I was told that you can use Potassium Permanganate to decontaminate plants, but I'm not sure how much to use or for how long. I'll be using QuickCure (Ingredients: Potassium Permanganate), which fades away after a few hours. Will that be a problem?

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
What color should the solution be? I just want to make sure that an ounce of the Quick Cure is similar to an ounce of KMnO4 crystals.
Note that the above recipe is not using an ounce of KMnO4. You first are making a 3% solution of the KMnO4 from crystals, and then using a (liquid) ounce of the 3% solution.

·
Registered
442 Posts
After a 15-20 minute dip in the PP, make sure to use prime or H2O2 to neutralize the PP. Then rinse in water. jungle oxy clear is also another source of PP.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
fishly, another way would be to use a 1:20 bleach:water solution. I actually make it slightly weaker at about 1:23-25 solution.
But you put the plant in for about 5 minutes then take it out, and set it in a clean water and just shake it around a bit.
Not only will this remove the contaminates but, any algae growing on them will be destroyed also. :)

Just did it last night on a patch of java moss that had tons of thread algae throughout it, and it really cleaned it up this morning when the lighting came back on.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
If you are going to use a bleach dip, be sure to use a dechlorinator at (at least) double strength to neutralize any residual chlorine.

In addition, a 5 minute bleach bath may be too long for more sensitive plants. I have never exceeded 3 minutes when using a 1/20 bleach solution. Sensitive plants like Hornwort will not even survive more than 1 minute, in my experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts