The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building a heavily planted tank and trying to make it very engaging for the kids.

1 - I will have about 20~ rummy nose to create a lot of movement
2 - Guppies for them to find the babies and to give more colour

For my 3rd addition I am bouncing between these two options...
  • Golden Blue Ram - Will these provide some unique personality to observe? if not, then i have my answer
  • Shrimp - Lots of little shrimp eating away, and babies... would make for an entertaining tank for the kids.
Unfortunately I cant have both of the above so struggling to pick one

·
Registered
296 Posts
In my experience the kids love the rams more than the shrimp but that may be diff for you. It’s hard to beat the colors of a healthy pair. Funny that I say that as I have 13 shrimp tanks lol. Love em all. You may be able to do both with adequate hiding places for the shrimp. Prob wouldn’t see them much but they would be there hiding and eating decaying matter and biofilm. Rock/wood piles or very thick veg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Unless your kids are older and have a lot of patience I would say rams for sure. My kids (2 and 4) like to point out when they see a shrimp. And if its a berried shrimp (a mommy shrimp) they like that as well and they also like the babies. BUT they name feature fish and they care if anything happens to them. Rams are pretty cool fish and if you get a pair they can be a lot of fun swimming around a tank. My rams so far are leaving my full sized amano shrimp alone so /shrug maybe you can do both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless your kids are older and have a lot of patience I would say rams for sure. My kids (2 and 4) like to point out when they see a shrimp. And if its a berried shrimp (a mommy shrimp) they like that as well and they also like the babies. BUT they name feature fish and they care if anything happens to them. Rams are pretty cool fish and if you get a pair they can be a lot of fun swimming around a tank. My rams so far are leaving my full sized amano shrimp alone so /shrug maybe you can do both.
They are 5 and 8 and I also think they would enjoy the shrimp, babies.. and more activity vs. 2 cool fish

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
They are 5 and 8 and I also think they would enjoy the shrimp, babies.. and more activity vs. 2 cool fish
Yeah your kids are a lot older so that might work better for you. You could get a few different colors of neocaridina shrimp and use it as a chance to teach about genetics to the 8 year old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts