The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after looking into it some more I decided on my lighting system to go inside a wood canopy for my tank. I like the single-ended 250W metal halide retrofit kit from HelloLights. I think this will work good on my 30-inch deep tank. There's 9" of space between the inside canopy top and the hinged glass lid of the tank. The canopy has no back to it, but I was wondering how do I keep the system cool? Can I hang a couple of fans off the back of the canopy? I do have a friend who's good with wood, so should I have him maybe cut out holes in the top or sides of the canopy for fans? Another thought--I was thinking of adding a single 96W AH Supply kit to go across the length of the tank--it's 48" and I'm thinking of staggering the lighting to come on and off with the metal halide--oh boy, I'm getting really excited now! and maybe adding some lunar lights too. I think I'll have an electrician do all this for me since I don't want to burn the house down, lol. Does this sound good to you guys? So far you've been a great help on this forum.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I wouldn't put a MH fixture in any canopy. They're just about all made for open air.

Tommy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got another thought--the Aqualight Pro retrofit kit. HelloLights has a pretty good price on it; I figure I'd probably spend close to this anyway on separate components; any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
2x250W and 4x39W in a canopy enclosure. This is what I'm using over a 24" tall tank that's 36" long. The two sets of fans that you see at each end are Coralife canopy fans. One pulls air in and the other pushes air out. Your woodworking friend should be able to cut a couple of holes for you for them.

Also, you might want to reconsider looking at two set of MH instead of one if you're running it over a 48" long tank. The spread on a single MH bulb won't cover it. I would also take a look at T5 lighting. With a tank of that length, you can run 54W T5 lighting, that will cover the entire length of the tank. It'll also be cooler running.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah I'd go with two... unless perhaps you use low light plants around the ends and keep you high light show plants in the middle or your groundcover, etc. Then use your 250 in the middle and have a few CF's or T5s spanning the length. For a single, I may suggest the Iwasaki 6500K its supposed to have one of the highest par ratings in the 250's. For 2 MH's the 175W Iwasaki 14,000K are also suppose to be very high par, 150's would probably work but I start questioning if it wil be bright enough especially on a tall tank. But if you suppliment with some T5 or CF that shouldnt be a problem. Well depending on what you want to grow anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the bulb recommendations! I'll definitely keep those in mind. For plants, I'd like to have giant Amazon swordplants in the background, some crypts and ozelot swords in the midground, and I'd really love to have a Madagascar laceleaf plant. Those are so cool looking. Those are the ones I'd like so far, I'm sure I'll find some more I'd like. Boy, this is getting exciting!

·
Registered
989 Posts
you could also set up a small fan that points at the water. maybe some how rig is so that comes on when the temperature of the water gets to be undesirable. this would cool the water via evaporative cooling which can lower the water temperature several degrees below room temperature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts