The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have RO water at my office where i'm setting up a new tank. does it need to be dechlorinated? how much do i mix with regular tap water when filling the tank (30g) for the first time?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I have RO water at my office where i'm setting up a new tank. does it need to be dechlorinated? how much do i mix with regular tap water when filling the tank (30g) for the first time?
Use it straight up! You could add a bit of tap if you want after dechlorinating just the tap water. You're in San Antonio just like me and the tap around here is liquid rock. A little would do to add back some minerals, but some have argued that they are not needed. The RO water will not need dechlor if it's working properly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would it hurt to dechlor the RO water as a precaution? and what percentage? ALL RO water? mmm 30 gallons through this ridiculously slow water thingy attached to our sink... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
ro water

hi to answer your question about to declor or not to.
if you go to buckeyefieldsupply.com you find your answer.
if you have the ro unit that has only the carbon block with sediment block
then you are only taking out chlorine.if your water supply has chloromine then you will need a gac filter which removes chloromine.if you have the ro unit with sediment/carbon and gac filter then there is no need to use declor.
i allways use prime with my tap water.i use a eyedroper.2 drops per gallon.
so if you are using only carbon block the you could probably go 1 to 1.5 drops per gallon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.