The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you need to use a dechlor if your using ro water? ive wondered about this a time or two. and if your using a hob with filter pads does the carbon in the filter pad pull the dechlor out of the water?

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I remember to add Prime I do. Just a sense of security I guess. I am using a fresh carbon filter in my RO though but after time I do not forget the Prime.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but is it needed? i guess i could run some and test for ammo before i treat with prime?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Chlorine/Chloramine will kill the r/o membrane pretty quickly so you really want to remove the chlorine with carbon before the membrane anyways.

However, if you don't change the carbon in time, chlorine/chloramine would get through so I still treat just in case.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't use anything because I was under the impression that if Clorine or Cloramine hit the membrane it would destroy it, which would skyrocket TDS, so I would be alerted.

I never treated any of the water I used for my 180g SPS reef, and I used to evap 5 gallons or more per day out of that system, not to mention water changes.

Whiskey

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm interesting. i have a portable unit and its designed for when you travel, so i would guess that part of the filter is made to remove chlorine and/or chloramine. other wise it wouldnt work real well. and for those that use inline/ plumed ro units do your units have a way to remove it before it goes into the unit? there are not many places in the use that dont use chlorine, chloramine, or both unless its like well water. i would think most units are made to with stand them since there really is no way to remove it before water is put into the unit. as for charcole does it remove the chlorine and or chloramine? if that is one of the filters before the ro membrane to help then why done people just run all water though charcoal and carbon before putting in tanks instead of using chemicals? i think i opened up alot of cans here lol. can i us ammo test to tell me if there is chlorine/chloramine in the water or do i need a special test?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't treat my R/O water and have yet to see a shrimp death. As long as the TDS is where it should be my R/O is good to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Adding chemicals in Ro water is a non sens in my humble opinion.
Why would you polluate a near pure water?

I used untreated RO in all my tanks, including my Sulawesi biotope, with any problem.

Useless to say that you should carefully check the TDS of your RO water.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Would chlorine or chloramine register anything on a tds pen?
Maybe but not much if it did. if there were chlorine or chloramine in the water and it made it past my carbon, my TDS would rise as it would destroy the membrane.

Our unit was installed for drinking in our kitchen and has filters to remove chlorine before water passes through the membrane and after the membrane for redundancy or insurance.

I thought most r/o units were like this, but I suppose they aren't.

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
Registered
170 Posts
I should clarify what I said earlier, I do a 50/50 mix with half of the water coming out post carbon filter before the ro membrane. So I'd get chloramine in my tank before the membrane died from the chloramine.

I tend to agree that you don't need to treat pure ro water if you are monitoring your tds. Testing tds is just as quick as dosing some prime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts