The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some decent ferts I could get for my 29 gal at a good price. I don't have a lot of plants, here's what I do have though: water sprite, wysteria, argentine sword, Amazon sword, banana, and a scarlet temple. I have a moderate algae issue, and am working on getting a pressurized co2 system as well as switching lights, from what I gather on here ferts may help the problem a bit as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Someone may have a link bookmarked to it but somehere on here is a list which
gives a suggeste amount for 20-40g tank and I'd try that one to start.
And I do believe that with the Wisteria you will need more than listed for the K value
but since it don't sound like you have that many plants AND it's for up to 40g it may
be enough as is.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do believe that with the Wisteria you will need more than listed for the K value

but since it don't sound like you have that many plants AND it's for up to 40g it may

be enough as is.

Sweet thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
+2 for nilocg's ferts, I just got his premixed liquid ferts, one bottle macros, one bottle micros, and I cannot tell you the difference it has made in my tank since sunday. plus you get two premixed refills with the first order.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to give that a look in the am.

That is the list of which I spoke. Just use the 20-40 tank size doses.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I do see that now, thanks for all the help, sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I'm so new to the hobby that I don't know where to go to find pertinent info.

·
Registered
426 Posts
No, not at all. Fertilizer questions are never stupid questions.

You might want to look up root tabs for your amazon sword. They are heavy root feeders. I believe nilocg has them.

Also, what kind of substrate are you using?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just to add options to this thread. I bought dry fertilizers (EI pack $15) from Green Leaf Aquariums + epsom salts from the pharmacy and mix my own. That will last.... I dunno how long. A really long time though for a 10 & 29g aquarium.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
+3 for nilocg

v3

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, what kind of substrate are you using?

I am using a black sand/aquarium gravel mix, approx. 65/35...I know not the ideal planted setup, but I didn't know I was going to get into the planted tanks and I have a 75 gal that I am taking my time on and focusing on doing right, once I get more experience.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got some root tabs and a macro/micro mix from aquarium fertilizer.com...the price was right for my budget right now, and they seem to do the trick from what I have read

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got my new light fixture in, and the light seems sooo low now! Probably a lot to do with the fact that I have been looking at it with such a bright fixture for the last month, but now I'm worried my plants will die. Do you think sprite, wysteria, an amazon and an argentine sword, a banana and a scarlet temple will do ok in medium/low light?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just got my new light fixture in, and the light seems sooo low now! Probably a lot to do with the fact that I have been looking at it with such a bright fixture for the last month, but now I'm worried my plants will die. Do you think sprite, wysteria, an amazon and an argentine sword, a banana and a scarlet temple will do ok in medium/low light?

The swords will do fine. I think wisteria can adapt to low light conditions. The scarlet temple requires high light I believe. I'm not sure about the other two plants.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts