The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi guys,

Back when I was setting up my Mr. Aqua 12g long, I had researched a lot about lighting, but only of the LED variety so I'm not too knowledgeable regarding T5HO lighting.

Anyhow, I was browsing my local classified ads and came across this fixture

Can anyone give any advice regarding the fixture? Think its a decent deal for the $50 asking price?

Any words are greatly appreciated!

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I would first ask myself if I would use it on the 12L: I bet the light is wider then the tank and the tank will look overwhelmed. $50 for the stuff you will never use are $50 wasted. Just my opinion.

v3

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That is a pretty good deal, but if you wanted to stick with LEDs you can try the LED floodlights from eBay for around the same price. I am pretty sure 4 T5HO bulbs on a 12L will be too much light so you may want to look into either a two bulb fixture or the spot lights. Another thing to consider is the price of replacing bulbs, the pros suggest that you replace your bulbs every 4 months, I try and replace mine once a year but sometimes don't because it costs me around $200 to replace all my bulbs.

Odysea is a good brand for the price. A few of my salty friends use them and swear by them due to the fact that you can repair them easily yourself. The only problem I know of with odysea is that the ballasts burn out quicker than other fixtures. One of my friends had to order two new ballasts within a week of getting his fixture but that was two years ago and it's still running strong.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would first ask myself if I would use it on the 12L: I bet the light is wider then the tank and the tank will look overwhelmed. $50 for the stuff you will never use are $50 wasted. Just my opinion.

v3
Thanks for the reply! I didn't mean to imply that I would be using the light in question on a 12g long. I just meant that when I had done the research on lighting my 12g, it was all for LED lighting and not this type!

Sorry for the confusion. Do appreciate the reply, though!

That is a pretty good deal, but if you wanted to stick with LEDs you can try the LED floodlights from eBay for around the same price. I am pretty sure 4 T5HO bulbs on a 12L will be too much light so you may want to look into either a two bulb fixture or the spot lights. Another thing to consider is the price of replacing bulbs, the pros suggest that you replace your bulbs every 4 months, I try and replace mine once a year but sometimes don't because it costs me around $200 to replace all my bulbs.

Odysea is a good brand for the price. A few of my salty friends use them and swear by them due to the fact that you can repair them easily yourself. The only problem I know of with odysea is that the ballasts burn out quicker than other fixtures. One of my friends had to order two new ballasts within a week of getting his fixture but that was two years ago and it's still running strong.
Thanks for the reply. The reason I initially went with LED lights is because I think they're a lot less hassle/more worry-free. Having to continually change bulbs isn't something that I'd really want to do.

I just saw the fixture posted to some classified and thought the asking price was decent so I figured I'd ask the experts! :)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
They are listed on E-bay so you can just look up a new one that size/w 4 bulbs.
Going to guess about $85. I have the 20" one in 2 bulb and recently looked up the 24" in four bulb and it was $63.
The clips which holds the bulbs is somewhat delicate. I managed to break one of mine
pulling out a bulb. They are a discount type of light but work better than a couple of regular brands for light reflection according to Hoppy's PAR thread/chart.
Mine is not quite a year old/w no problems I didn't do to it.
I'd also think you might add whatever the shipping might cost as the E-bay one has no shipping cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.