The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what happened but I've had my 2nd shrimp die in less than a week. Water parameters were ok a few days ago (don't have notebook with me so I can't be specific. I'll test it again tonight). This one is a Neocaridina. The one before was a Panda (caridina). Others shrimps are fine, swimming, eating, molting. I even got a berried blue neo.

I was able to find this one before it was eaten by his fellow Neos.
Cuisine Serveware Comfort food Molluscs Finger food

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Dead shrimp change color, it's hard to get much info from a dead body unless there's an obvious parasite. Report back with water parameters when you can. Do you know what the original owner of these shrimp was keeping them in?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dead shrimp change color, it's hard to get much info from a dead body unless there's an obvious parasite. Report back with water parameters when you can. Do you know what the original owner of these shrimp was keeping them in?
So I measured today again:

API
PH 6.8
Ammonia 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm

Tetra
PH 6.8
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
GH 150-200ppm
Chlorine 0ppm
KH 0ppm

He keeps all his shrimps around the same parameters. His GH is usually higher, around 300ppm according to him.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The GH might be too high for your Caridina... can you get liquid test kits to measure it?

Ammonia should be at 0.

What's the current temp of the tank?

What is your water source for the tank? (tap? remineralized RO/DI or distilled?)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The GH might be too high for your Caridina... can you get liquid test kits to measure it?

Ammonia should be at 0.

What's the current temp of the tank?

What is your water source for the tank? (tap? remineralized RO/DI or distilled?)
Ammonia should be at 0ppm. I just have a hard time identifying the color between 0 and 0.25 but everyone else in my household said it was 0.

I'll tell you temp tomorrow.

I don't know where to buy GH/KH liquid tests in my country. I'll look around. Also thought about buying a TDS meter.

About the source...basically in our country we get tap water that has received some sort of treatment and it accumulates in an underground tank/cisterna made of cement. It is then treated with chlorine before going into the house but we have a 3-step system that removes all chlorine/chloramine and harmful stuff. It works pretty well, basically mineralized water. But I add that with RO to avoid having hardness so high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.