The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely new to dwarf shrimp so please bear with me here. I got 5 neo shrimp (4 yellow and 1 orange) a couple months ago. I had no idea how easy it was for them to breed and apparently one must've already been pregnant when I got them since they were all female and a couple weeks later I started seeing babies in tank crevices. Now that the babies are of more substantial size, I would hazard a guess that there's about 30ish babies in there now. I'm a little concerned about how many there are and I obviously don't want them to continue to breed. Breeding was not my intention as it's a small tank (only 5 gallons). Should I just remove the majority of the babies and take them back to the store or something? I was thinking about getting a catfish or snail or something to eat any future eggs but I'm honestly not sure if that would work. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I've been greatly entertained by the color and size variety of the babies. I know the mother was yellow, but the majority of the babies seem orange. Some even seem a little stripey but maybe that'll change as they grow. Further, some of the orange babies seem to have light blue eyes! Super pretty. I'd read that they look like that before they molt, but I started noticing the blue eyes at least a week ago and several still have them, so I think it's probably permanent. I'll attach some poor pics of those.
Plant Cuisine Dish Ingredient Mixture
Mixture Bedrock Pebble Natural material Cobblestone

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You could breed shrimp up to the hundreds in your 5G and almost never see a drastic raise in ammonia with regular maintenance. Shrimp are incredibly low bioload so they don't add much waste to the system.

If you want population control, almost any fish will eat a baby shrimp. A lot of members will trade plants for culls, or you could take them back to your LFS for store credit maybe.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can have an army of shrimp in there before it affects the bioload. Enjoy the babies! Or, as was mentioned, most fish will eat shrimp fry. so if you really dont want a lot of shrimp, that'd be one way to keep population down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can have an army of shrimp in there before it affects the bioload. Enjoy the babies! Or, as was mentioned, most fish will eat shrimp fry. so if you really dont want a lot of shrimp, that'd be one way to keep population down.
So I got a cory catfish for some population control since I'd heard they sometimes go after shrimp fry, but adults would be too big. I had put it in for about 2 hours and it seemed to be acclimating fine. And then after coming back from a quick errand I looked in and it was pushing around a dead full-sized adult shrimp. Didn't seem like it was trying to eat the shrimp or anything, but something must've happened. Is it too aggressive to continue with the shrimp? I didn't want to cause them stress or kill any of the current ones as even the younger shrimp are now pretty big, I just wanted to keep the population from increasing in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.