The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I know this is a basic question about fish on a site called Planted Tank, but I consider this my aquarium "home" and I need to deal with this.

I bought some Mollies and Lyretails at my LFS. I liked the way they looked and based on the likeihood that they would do well. My wife is very concerned that they are livebearers and either 1) the bigger fish will eat the young and completely freak out the kids or 2) they will reproduce to an unsustainable level.

So is #1 true? Will my kids (3 and five years old) be freaked out by the idea of fish eating the babies?

If #2 is true, what do you do? RAOKs? Give them to friends?

Is this answer to simply not have any livebearers?

Thanks.

-Nate:confused:

·
Registered
963 Posts
You can have just males. What size is the tank? I started with just two guppies (M/F) in a 5 gallon which was very quickly overpopulated. I ended up adding a second 10 gal tank for just the females and kept sorting the males out back into the 5 gal. My particular guppies did not eat the babies, although some strains will.

Not familiar with mollies. But if you have a planted tank and there are places to hide, you should have surviving fry. Some LFS will take the extra fry but some may not for common live bearers.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I must have been a cruel kid because at 6 I used to get excited when my guppy gave birth. It meant food for the big cool fish. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
939 Posts
It did not freak out my young kids. Big fish eat little fish, its a good life lesson.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

·
Registered
249 Posts
Usually during a birthing you must really pay attention to of they are eaten. What I'm saying is that it's usually unseen

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm not that worried about the situation, but my wife is.

Not sure yet what we'll do. Thanks.

-Nate

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I must have been a cruel kid because at 6 I used to get excited when my guppy gave birth. It meant food for the big cool fish. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol - I misread this & thought you typed when your puppy gave birth - I wondered just how big those big fish were...:icon_roll

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't know why, but my guppies (reasonably EXACTLY the same as a molly)
never eat their fry, got about 300 in my 55 gallon. :D

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I chose #2

I bought 4-5 Black Mollies ~ a year ago. I made a mistake of putting the fry in 3 other tanks because I wanted the little guys to survive. Long story short, I'm trying to put all of them into a single tank, the largest I have atm, a 75g, because I have 200-300? of them now. No LFS wants them for free, all of my friends I gave some mollies to refuse to take my calls.

The fry survived everything from Blood Parrots to Puffers to Loaches to Tetras. I need a Barracuda or a Green Terror.

Get some tetras instead.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I bought one female platy. lol. now have two dozen of different sizes babies to juvies to almost breeding age. let the females drop a batch or two then give them away while you can. Let the males live on happily and donate the ladies to a locally owned aquarium shop.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am definitely considering posting them on craiglist and trying to find someone local to take them.... I like them, but it seems more trouble than it is worth.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Bichers eat Guppies, and larger fish. Allowing the predation is up to you. If you do not want to watch it, then get all males when you stock live bearers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts