The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So a while back I had a small bba outbreak on an area of dwarf hairgrass. I thought I destroyed it all with a spot dose of excel. Eventually it started popping up everywhere and I was wondering how it was spreading. I then noticed that some ramshorn snails had it growing on their shells and were just transferring it all over the tank. I'm still picking out ramshorn snails with bba on them when I see them, but don't know how to stop the outbreak all around the tank.

How do you guys treat bba outbreaks?

·
Registered
117 Posts
are you running pressurized co2? If you are, start cranking that up a bit! Slowly of course, over the course of several days.
Keep an eye on your fish.

Another thing to try is increasing your flow. Maybe a powerhead or two.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
I agree to dosing the column with excel, if may still be on the plants and objects after a while but you’ll notice that it won’t have a stubborn grip anymore and can be manually removed. I would also cut off any leaves that have it bad and try to physically remove as much as possible before dosing. You should start noticing a difference in a week. You may also want to do small daily water changes during this time just to hit it from every angle. You can potentially start dosing 2x what it says on the bottle... but that can be dangerous so it’s something worth looking up first and seeing if that’s right for you..

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree to dosing the column with excel, if may still be on the plants and objects after a while but you’ll notice that it won’t have a stubborn grip anymore and can be manually removed. I would also cut off any leaves that have it bad and try to physically remove as much as possible before dosing. You should start noticing a difference in a week. You may also want to do small daily water changes during this time just to hit it from every angle. You can potentially start dosing 2x what it says on the bottle... but that can be dangerous so it’s something worth looking up first and seeing if that’s right for you..
Well said

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts

some interesting reading on BBA

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
By today's knowledge that article from the barrreport sorry to say is way off. BBA grows fine in non-co2 setups. Just go to any LFS and you'll see BBA all over the place on the filter outlets, and it can grow in high co2 as well or any co2. The common denominator is organic load and lights. It's about what you system can handle before a threshold is breached. That's why maintenance and clean water is so important.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
By today's knowledge that article from the barrreport sorry to say is way off. BBA grows fine in non-co2 setups. Just go to any LFS and you'll see BBA all over the place on the filter outlets, and it can grow in high co2 as well or any co2. The common denominator is organic load and lights. It's about what you system can handle before a threshold is breached. That's why maintenance and clean water is so important.
Agree with above. Too much light in relation to type of plants and plant mass and too many organics in the system are the most likely causes.

I might add that adding more flow like it was suggested above will likely increase not decrease BBA. It loves to grow right in the areas of the highest flow.

And the snails with BBA on them are not spreading it around the tank. It does not need to be spread, and is not introduced into a tank. The spores are always there waiting for the right conditions.

If you really want help, post some pics of the tank along with as much information as you can think of. You need to take a whole tank approach to create conditions that favor plants not BBA. In a well run tank full of healthy plants BBA is not an issue.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
And the snails with BBA on them are not spreading it around the tank. It does not need to be spread, and is not introduced into a tank. The spores are always there waiting for the right conditions.
I can literally support this. Not with BBA, but what looks to be staghorn on this snail. There is no staghorn anywhere else in my tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I threw in a couple of Siamese Algae Eaters a few years ago and haven’t seen it since. Plus, they make a nice addition to my tank. Just an idea if you have the room. Of course it’s alway better to find the source, but that stuff is really hard to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.