The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
My comment on this is here (post 25): #25

I'd also add that I think it might be better to delete posts, rather than ban members, if it is at all possible, since mods can now do more in this new format, as I understand it. Might even be a good idea to re-invite banned members that haven't been banned for reasons other than being offensive (I know the mods try to avoid banning as much as had been possible). If members see their rants disappear, they might learn that there is no point in being offensive if no one will hear them.

Of course, this might be too tedious for the mods, given the time they have at their disposal for this voluntary activity. I know that I wouldn't want their job.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
My comment on this is here (post 25): #25

I'd also add that I think it might be better to delete posts, rather than ban members, if it is at all possible, since mods can now do more in this new format, as I understand it. Might even be a good idea to re-invite banned members that haven't been banned for reasons other than being offensive (I know the mods try to avoid banning as much as had been possible). If members see their rants disappear, they might learn that there is no point in being offensive if no one will hear them.
I respectively disagree. Members who have been banned have been banned for good reason. Most times they are suspended, then suspended again, then eventually banned. You can see it coming. I don't understand how they don't have the common sense to see it as well.

Traffic in forums in general is down everywhere. Many have turned to Face Book groups these days.

But that being said, I still believe that forums are the best place to learn. A planted tank is a complicated discussion, and it's difficult to have deep nuanced discussions on FB. And the discussions there are fleeting, disapearing before they really get anywhere. The key here is the permanent record and in my opinion the journal section. If you really want to understand how someone manages their tank, follow their journal.

I still follow many here and learn something new all the time.

And in general, the peak of summer is always the slowest time here on the board. It happens every year (I know it's true for me!). Once fall rolls around you see a noticeable pick up in activity.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I agree with much of what you say, other than just accepting the possible trend of declining forums. Such things can wax and wane, but retaining a critical mass is essential to remaining meaningful enough to avoid disappearing. I participate in another, non-aquarium-related forum that is quite as active as it ever was and there are very heated discussions resulting from very determined individuals.

When markets change, survivors adapt while those that follow the status quo die. Perhaps the approach needs to adapt to allow more FB-type interaction, which can be quite contentious, while retaining all of the benefits you mention.

I know that the summer months are slow, but I've been seeing a notable decline in activity all year, particularly challenging activity. Journals are fine for some, but they do require a large time commitment, which is not likely to draw large numbers..

I would still prefer to see less banning and more excising of questionable posts as a self-deterrent to members inclined to go over the top. To ease the burden on the mods, members might be encouraged, more aggressively than we now are, to report posts that might be veering in the wrong direction. Alternatively, the super-moderators might create a cadre of not-so-super moderators that would volunteer to read through posts for problems that could then be reported to the super-mods.

i know that we both agree that we do not want to see this forum become useless.

Reactions: Greggz

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
I would still prefer to see less banning and more excising of questionable posts as a self-deterrent to members inclined to go over the top. To ease the burden on the mods, members might be encouraged, more aggressively than we now are, to report posts that might be veering in the wrong direction. Alternatively, the super-moderators might create a cadre of not-so-super moderators that would volunteer to read through posts for problems that could then be reported to the super-mods.

i know that we both agree that we do not want to see this forum become useless.
I am a moderateor elsewhere, and in my opinion you need a pretty short leash. If not, things can degenerate quickly. Seen it too many times.

And yes I agree I would like to see this forum stay strong. I will say in comparison to other planted tank/fish forums it's still going pretty well. Some others have dropped to one or two posts a day.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I, honestly, hate the Facebook and reddit formats. I'll scour reddit for ideas and to see tater cuz he's the cutest thing in the world, but there is waaaaaay too much bad info out there NOT regulated in the least bit. I've set myself up in this forum alone simply because I've found so much helpful and real life info in the journal section that I'm addicted and I think it's because of the very informed and diligent moderation. I haven't been active online for the better part of 12 years now and if you think this site is dead search some of the other aquarium forums- lucky if there's a new post once a month. Just my very limited observations as I'm a techphobe

·
Registered
142 Posts
I, honestly, hate the Facebook and reddit formats. I'll scour reddit for ideas and to see tater cuz he's the cutest thing in the world, but there is waaaaaay too much bad info out there NOT regulated in the least bit. I've set myself up in this forum alone simply because I've found so much helpful and real life info in the journal section that I'm addicted and I think it's because of the very informed and diligent moderation. I haven't been active online for the better part of 12 years now and if you think this site is dead search some of the other aquarium forums- lucky if there's a new post once a month. Just my very limited observations as I'm a techphobe
you are absolutely right, i was member on other fish/pants keeping site and they all dead but this one always have some traffic and you can still get great info and great deals too

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think it was a death sentence for the forum when TPT stopped allowing members to comment in For Sale threads. That section was always popping, and members naturally spilled over to other sections of the forum. It was so much more engaging back then, and I am actually surprised that the restriction, and consequently this site, has even lasted this long.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I think it was a death sentence for the forum when TPT stopped allowing members to comment in For Sale threads. That section was always popping, and members naturally spilled over to other sections of the forum. It was so much more engaging back then, and I am actually surprised that the restriction, and consequently this site, has even lasted this long.
In fact, that was how I first discovered this forum, as I was interested in buying a CO2 setup after being low-tech all my life. Those comments helped me clarify my decision on what to buy and moved me into the broader forum.

I did this just as the as the micro-tox wars began. A lot of members made fools of themselves in that thread (I was not yet a member - made a fool of myself much later). However, I did notice that those strong beliefs moved many of us to experiment, myself included, and much learning occurred.

The first years of my involvement still had a lot of that aggressive challenging among members and there seemed to be a lot more very experienced members involved. I fear that they all get chased away, leaving the forum lacking in diverse opinions.

Reactions: ejendro and gtu2004
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.