The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a little tank of about 20 amanos that i am holding until i get my bigger tank set up. I just recently purchased them and been with me for about 3 days. I woke up this morning to three dead and later in the day another two.

I checked my params on my tank and levels are as follows:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrarite 0ppm
Nitrate 20~30ppm

Can figure out what happened to loose so many so quick. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
How are the survivors? Are they acting funny? If not then it's probably normal loss due to shipping stress and such...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the others seem fine, just running around in the tank. Some are crawling up to the surface. I know there is not a lack of oxygen though because i have an airstone running 24/7

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Umm, your nitrates are higher than they should be. Do a quick water change. For shrimp, nitrates SHOULD be around the 0-10 ppm level. My cherries have survived levels of 100ppm in an unbalanced tank. I quickly did a water change to fix that though.

I think its your nitrates and shipping stress making an otherwise hardy shrimp sensitive.

Do a 20-30% water change and check for more dead bodies/stressed looking shrimp.

Also, how "little" is your tank? It could be that not enough food was given to your 20 amanos in your "little" tank.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
little is 2.5 gallons. I feed them about twice a day. I just got another one dead and doing a quick WC as we speak. Thanks for the great help. Ill do this WC nad hope for no more dead bodies.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
2.5 gallons with 20 amanos? I'm thinking you're just trying to kill your shrimp. I wouldn't be too surprised of deaths with 20 amanos just shipped to your house three days ago in a 2.5 gallon. Are they still little or are they pretty big already?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, some are moderate size and others are small. I was concerned this might be a bit too small for all of them.

The only tank i have set up at this point is my 56gal. This tank has discus angels and all sorts of tankmates that would find these shrimp a treat. I had no other option untill i get my tank set up next week. I have my ceramic bioballs running in my 56gal for right now that way I can transffer the ceramic balls inot my xp3 which i will be using for my 45gal. Unfortunatly my bioballs were exposed to untreated tap water for a day because i was testing my new tank with with all equipment to see if any leaks would come up. I quickly removed them and stuck them in my xp2 until i can get the 45gal set up some time next week. I am hoping that some benficial bacteria will be present that way the 45gal cycles a little less rough, that way my shrimp wont be harmed.

I just finished doing a 50% WC and brought my nitrates down to a little over 10ppm. I plan on doing another WC on this tank to hopefully bring down the nitrates a little more. Will the shrimp be harmed if i do another WC within a few hours time?

I hope you all dont think i plan on storing these poor shrimp in a little hut forever, its just until i can get things running. All the help is greatly appreciated!!!!
-Pete

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
really?! Just water from the 56gal and an airstone do, cuz i dont have an extra filter laying around :(

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
buckets or a 15 gallon or so rubbermaid container from wwalmart. A sponge filter would be great. If you don't have one, that new weird chain store called pet supplies plus has all different kinds. it's at 281 and brookhollow. (across the hyway from aquarium design).
amanos can get "adventurious, so i would keep them covered.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the shrimp will be ok in a buckets with an airstone and water form my 56gal. I can buy some sponge filters but are they really necessary? Im not trying to be cheap or anything because its not like the shrimp were. I was just wondering if they would be ok with just an airstone in the bucket. If not sponge filters will not be a problem to buy. Will the beneficial bacteria play a roll in the shrimps short stay in an orange Home Depot bucket?
I have yet to experiance a situation like this before while being in the planted and aquarium hobby for some years :(. Learn something new everyday!
Thanks again
-Pete

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds awsome! Thaks soo much!

Little update:
Since doing the two water changes about an hour and a half apart to lower nitrates, no more shrimp have came up dead :D . I can only keep my fingers crossed at this point and pray they make it until i can get them to thier new home.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
How did you acclimate the shrimp? Do you use any dechlorinators? If so, which one?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I acclimate the shrimp via drip method, at least an hour maybe more.

I bought the shrimp because the person selling them put up an offer i couldnt refuse. Im not new at dealing with fuana and setting up tanks. This was the first "dumb" move in a while. I know i put the shrimp through stress they shouldnt go through but I did what I could to best suit them with their needs.

I never planned on NOT having my tank set by this time. I had an unfortunate issue dealing with my light fixture that i had purchased online. One of the ballast that was running two light was malfunctioning and had to be returned immediately in order to keep it under warranty.This prevented me from having to ship it directly to the manufacture and have it take twice as lone for them to disect the thing, tell me whats was wrong with it and them ship it back.
Sooooo, thats the story. I wont have the light back until the next two weeks so i borrowed a backup fixture until that one arrives.
I made prior arrangments with the fellow i bought them from many weeks before this happened and thats why I have the shrimp right now.

I make mistakes, those are always inevidable, but this one was couldnt have been predicted by me or the shrimp;)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You could put some plant clippings in the bucket for a little filtration and food.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have moved them into a 5 gallon bucket. They have an airstone, heater, light, pinch of substrate and some plants. Its been two days since this post and i have lost two more shrimp. I am baffeled as to why these shrimps are slowly dying off.
I used the aquarium water from my 56, and checked the params in the bucket and im getting ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate~10

I plan on puttind them into my new 45gal Wednesday night or Thursday. Will they be ok until then. I noticed they are shedding what does this mean?
Thanks for the help!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts