The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I may have thrown too much at my ramshorn at once. I had one big one that I threw into my temporary tank last night. The tank is newly set up without any other inhabitants. I put him in after noticing that something (looking at lone guppy in nano) bit off his antennae and didn't want him getting picked on. Well, after realizing that distilled water with minerals added would be better for my shrimp that I am getting in the mail today, I drained 90% of the water and filled with a lower ph, lower gh/kh water last night. I am guessing it was too much of a shock (oh also didn't have the heater plugged in yet)? I feel bad cuz I thought snails could handle quite a bit but found it dead this morning. So was it probably just shock? Double checked and there was not any fluctuations over the night in water params.
ph - 6.4-6.6
gh - 6
kh - 2

·
Registered
554 Posts
Totally depends on the size of the snail & how healthy it was before it started getting picked on by the guppy.

Some snails just "turtle" up when they get pecked & stay clamed up until they die.

When I notice a snail acting weird, I remove them & drop a pellet in front of their shell. If it doesn't eat, & it's behavior doesn't change in a day or two, they get crushed & turned into fresh protein.

• Was this a regular ramhorn snail or a special decorative one?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, he didn't seem to be acting the same after I noticed his antennae missing, they were glorious too! Will miss my big ramshorn. His shell was a bit bigger than a nichel, almost quarter sized.

I think it was a regular one, but I couldn't be too sure, my first time keeping the things. It's shell was a uniform color, a dark purplish. It was the only one in the tank that is getting overrun with pond snails but it managed to spit out one ramshorn baby somehow cuz I found another in the tank that looks more "normal" at least like the ones I got with some plants. This 2nd one has a light brown shell with spots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts