The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my aquaclear 110 (not even a 6months old),, attached to my 60 was barely flowing
I cleaned/rinsed the bio and mechanical media, and replaced the chemical
And still nothing but drips
I cleared the intake and intake sponge and still nothing but drips
What else could cause this great filter to "dam up"
I had a AC 70 run for 1.5 years and never had this problem

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Hmm I'm not super familiar with aquaclears, but with most hang on the back filters the intake is attached to a long tube that curves up and into the filter. You should be able to pull that piece up, and see the impeller. BTW, Unplug the filter before you do this.:proud:

I'll do some googling real quick to see if I can find a diagram of the AC110 then I can probably explain it better

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check as well, I didn't know they could be taken apart like I said first ime I 've ever had an issue with an AC ;-)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That pic helped out a great deal
Managed to get to the motor
Full of white gunk
Cleared that up, a slight improvement
I then removed my AC intake mod and bam 100% flow again
I'm starting to think AC on tanks bigger than 40 might not be the way to go :)

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
That bottom left piece is a black closed box. You turn it 90 degrees or so (I feel like it's clockwise, but not certain) and it comes right off. The impeller is held in there by a magnet at the base of it and will pull right out. The shiny metal shaft also pulls out, but you should need a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab it and pull. Clean the empty cylinder, the shaft, and the impeller with Q-Tips, push the shaft back in (hard), slide the impeller back on, and close it up. Fill the filter up with water and plug it in. It might take a minute to prime, but it should work. Oh, and make sure the intake tube isn't clogged either.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
That pic helped out a great deal
Managed to get to the motor
Full of white gunk
Cleared that up, a slight improvement
I then removed my AC intake mod and bam 100% flow again
I'm starting to think AC on tanks bigger than 40 might not be the way to go :)
Glad I could be of some help. :)

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I love that you can use any media config that you want. I hate most HOB's that you have to use their special catriages. Ones, you have to replace it, you destroy all your bacteria and risk a mini cycle in your tank, and two, they are not big enough. I got a Aquaclear 20mini last night for a 2.5gal. Overkill, yes, but better than the small little HOB's with the cartriage's. I was able to take bio-media balls out of my established Eheim and throw it in, put in some fish food and hopefully will cycle in a few days.

I also run a Aquaclear 70 on my 7.5gal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts