The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i once kept some snakes in this tank and i melted the plastic rim and i want to de-rim it but if i filled it with water do you think it would bow out to much or would it be okay???
is there anything else i should be worried about??

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
my 29g has the rim intact and i'm still a little worried. don't do it unless your intent is to only fill it 1/3 full. (like for a riparium)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wonder if making a new rim out of 1/4 plexiglass with a center brace would work. Could have it cut slightly larger than the tank and cut two holes on both sides leaving a center brace. Then silicone it in place. Leaving a nice bead on the inside and outside would have a really strong bond. If good with a router you could put a nice grove in the plexiglass making it really strong.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought some 100% automotive silicone once and used it on plexi and it was like a super glue bond. Expensive stuff but really strong. You could also make a wooden plywood rim and make a hood that sits on that and it would look nice. I made a new bottom rim for a 30 long with plywood and it came out nice.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here was my idea for de-rimming my 29 gallon. Havent tried it yet, but it was the best thing I could come up with to reinforce vertical seams while still getting a clean rimless look.

Since 30inches isnt too long, i figured the weakest point of a de-rimmed 29 gallon are the vertical seams, assuming you leave the bottom trim ON.

I figured I could use some right angle pieces of aluminum from Lowes up the seams.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well yea guys/gals i de-rimed it and i filled it up to the very top and i only bowed out about 3 eighth on an inch at tops... no more then that

and i like that aluminum idea i might just take it from you ;]

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have used a de-rimmed 30 long for a reef tank for 2 years and it as has been fine. I guess that doesn't mean it will last forever though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine is not a long its a 30 tall so there would be more strain and yea i only got it fill to about 2/4 and its not bowed at all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts